Using 6m from Alaska

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by NL0H, Jun 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NL0H

NL0H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also have a mountain between me and NA. Hopefully we have an opening this weekend while I am not at work!

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

JAs are prolific on 6m. After a while, you get tired of working them.

Even from here in CA. AK is closer, and they'll be stronger.

For you, EU is a polar path that may not work well, but it's always worth a shot.

3. NL0H

Forreal. I can get JA on 6-160. A good opening to EU on HF is amazing. Get tired of not hearing NA. But NA is a pain from here. Pretty much Russia Far East but with a mountain to the west. Russia is 36 miles. mainland Alaska is 200 miles. Japan is just down the coastline.

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This always makes me jealous. My son is on Vancouver ISL. He's always telling me about working the far east and rare countries down to Austrailia on HF.
    Been trying to get him to put up something for 6 even if its just a dipole and wondering how that would work out for him.
    But then I'd be hearing about all the dx he is working :D:D
    I can even things out with Europe and Carribean contacts:cool:

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would think most of EU from there would have a lot of "polar flutter" on the signals, making them a bit "garbeled" on SSB and possibly "buzzy" on CW.

But then, maybe not. I've been to AK but never operated from there and there's about 98% of Alaska I've never seen. It's a big place.

It's so big, maybe 6 meters is really 7 meters up there.:p

6. NL0H

I think your probably would be happier with EU and Caribbean contacts. Haha. I may here JA all the time. But Caribbean and SA is hard to find. Then there's Africa. Even NA is real hard to get for me unless west coast.

VE3CGA likes this.
  7. NL0H

It depends on the time if year but lately not much garble on SSB. But yeah audio can sound weird. Not sure about 6m EU because I've only heard Asia. Today lots of JA on 6m but only a few came back to me. No NA on 6m. I just noticed I am 100 miles closer to Tokyo than to Los Angeles.

8. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wanna hear Alaska from the East coast ?

Here is a recording I made a long time ago, in 2002, 20 years ago.

New Jersey to Alaska on 6 meters, it was an amazing time, hope it happens again in cycle 25.

Attached Files:

AB8JH likes this.