Using 6m from Alaska

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by NL0H, Jun 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NL0H

NL0H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am thinking of setting up a 6m station. I have listened on 6m FT8 but never rx anything but that on a HF antenna. I don't know of any 6m stations near here...of course on mainland. So everything would have to be DX. Maybe JA or NA. I am not sure what would even come in on 6m here. Was wondering if anyone would have interest in making contact if I was on 6m because no sense buying a yagi if nobody is going to call! Also if anyone has suggestions. Good antennas. Portable 6m. Things like that. Thank you!

N3AWS likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Eric @KL7AJ does a lot of pondering of AK propagation (or lack thereof!)... I'm sure he can add something

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO and NL0H like this.
  3. K1XH

K1XH Ham Member QRZ Page

Please yes!

NL0H likes this.
  4. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of years ago from Virginia I copied two Alaska station on 6M working each other. I checked the calls on PSK Reporter and they weren't hearing anything except each other.

5. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Put up a decent Yagi 30 to 50 feet or more above ground, be able to rotate it, run maybe 100 watts and you'll be in big demand. Over the years I've worked roughly 15 +/- stations in Alaska mostly on SSB. The best was years ago working 4 or 5 of them back to back to back with aurora and sporadic E propagation mixed in. For 6 meters, you're in a state that's always in big demand.

N3AWS, WA9SVD and NL0H like this.
  6. NL0H

Yeah... it's bugging. Like even on HF. Propagation weird or something here. Can be real weak signals especially in summer.

7. NL0H

Good to hear. I had been asked by JA station to put up antenna for 6m. I almost bought a yagi recently but then decided to wait.

8. NL0H

I now have a 4 element yagi for 6m. A bit flimsy of an antenna but better than none. Good to Asia when 6m is open. Hopefully be able to work NA and EU also. Look for NA-040 and AP43 on 6m now!

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We had a great spastic-E opening yesterday afternoon. My buddy WL7AI worked a whole bunch of lower 48 stations.

10. NL0H

What time? I was at work until 5. Finally had antenna together at 2:40 utc. Great opening to JA for an hour and then nothing at all