Uses for neon bubs

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KL7AJ, Jul 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Also, the electrodes can eventually outgas and contaminate the "innards."

2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was having trouble with a servo and unobtainium ICs for a while. The turntable speed would hunt around intermittently. Great Fun!

I preverse engineered the servo pre-amp and driver cards with parts that can be bought. That was a huge PITA. The neon lamp tells you that it's locked from across the room. It's been running fine for a couple years now.

P1000668.JPG P1000669.JPG
    You don't have to remove your necktie to operate this lathe! :p

Some pieces of 50's-60's processing gear used NE-2 lamps as regulators.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    KA9JLM and WA7PRC like this.
  3. ZS6GST

ZS6GST QRZ Member

Many years ago, I used neons as low cost replacements for diac diodes to trigger SCRs in light dimmers that I manufactured for student pocket money. A fellow verbose student was duly appointed as a salesman to sell my dimmers to night clubs and romantic dinner places and this led to a very amusing BS 'client relations' story.

At low levels, dimmed lights would sometimes flicker due to spikes on the mains. When visiting an existing
    client, the student salesman was confronted by an irate owner who complained bitterly about the flickering lights whereupon the student salesman inquired as to what the owner had paid for the dimmers. The student salesman then informed the surprised owner that he had charged too little for the dimmers and would have to replace them with ordinary types as the ones he had delivered were the much more expensive special romantic "flickering candle effect" types. Upon hearing this, the owner vehemently refused to have the flickering dimmers replaced. Years later when visiting the same club, I jokingly complianed about the flickering lights where upon the owner went into great detail to explain the unique romantic benefits of his special "flickering candle effect" lights.

KD2ACO, WA7PRC and WN6U like this.
  4. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Google GE glowlamps PDF, and be ready to spend a few hours reading. The lowly glow lamp was pretty versatile.

They were used quite extensively in electronic organs.

Mike

KD2ACO likes this.
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's excellent salesmanship. The flickering isn't a defect... it's a FEATURE. ;):D

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Speak for yourself!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Triplett has neon bulbs in some of their meters to indicate the presence of high voltage, sort of like the little lightning bolt Fluke uses these days when things exceed 30V, except neons are more like 80-90V ish.