uses for 75 ohm coax in Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KJ4GXU, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

For that matter, put waterproof F connectors on them and use a "F" to "UHF" adapter.

2. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

You could do that but I am an old VHF guy and have used BNC connectors running hundreds of watts for 30 some years.

I currently use BNC's on at least one end of my RG58 jumper cables, because of the "quick" disconnect feature which is handy for storms. Additionally a crimped BNC connector has a huge lifetime of connecting and disconnecting. :)

Maybe I'm prejudice but I still see "F" connectors as TV parts.

fp :)

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the point of the expense and loss of an adapter???
    If you ARE going to resort to crimp connectors, there ARE UHF connectors that will mate directly with RG-6 size cables!

4. KA9MOT

Sorry I was slow getting back to you, I was performing a receive mod to my rig (that's how us new hams/appliance operators roll! LOL !).

I just threw that out there as another option, because there are tons of options limited only by the imagination.

Hmmmm....the new mod to an awesome receiver works very well....I'll have to go search out a very strong signal and see what happens.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. KA9MOT

See above. I prefer to solder my PL-259s directly to my RG-6.

I do like the BNC idea and might look into that. I've never used a BNC connector of any type that was not pre-connected......Nothing else, it would be an opportunity to learn a new skill.

BTW, there are those who prefer a crimped connection. Those who will swear the crimped on connector is better. I am not one of them, but the argument has been made.

6. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I think, at least in the case of BNC & N connectors, that those that work professionally with the connectors will tell you that crimp connectors are easier to put on and more reliable than the solder type. :eek:

I have a couple of RG58 jumpers with BNC's on one end and an Amphenol UHF clamp connectors on the other end. The Amphenol connector has their trademark tan colored Bakelite insulator and it say Amphenol on it however, they do look cheap but I haven't had any problems.

fp :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. KF6NFW

KF6NFW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used on several occasions a small section of RG-6 with no system failures, no rock solid copy, and no complaints, on 2 meters!
    For me that was all that mattered! After it was all done, I found the problem, bad copy was due to corrosion ate one side of connection on a "sealed coil".
    Once replaced in the field, we found there was no major signal loss when using a 10 foot section of copper braid RG-6.
    (Radio was Kenwood TM-V7A. Antenna was a mobile comet dualbander on a GP kit, hung upside down from metal roof at convention center Shreveport,La. 2005)

After that, I have used it several times for other small runs, but like to keep the length down to less then 50feet, unless I have no choice.

On HF, I use it as the antenna itself sometimes or through a tuner to whatever is clever at the moment. I personally like wire antennas!
    I dont have a lot of power but the TS BS 2000X does a decent job with its built in tuner!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.