Used radios selling for 99% new cost ...

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N5WRX, Dec 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's the nature of the ham radio beast for as long as I can remember. At any ham fest you'll find people asking top dollar for the stuff they're selling, and then they nickel and dime the other vendors who are asking reasonable prices.

It's not just big-ticket items either. I was at the Orlando hamfest last year, and a guy has the base to an average straight key....no level or spring, just the base....and the base was split in 2 pieces. I figured the fiber washers and spare hardware were worth a buck or two, so I asked how much, and he said $20. I literally laughed out loud....I didn't mean to, but it just came out. To which he responded, "Okay $10, you can glue it back together.".

But, you have to remember supply and demand....highly sought rigs will always sell for close to what they were new. I bought an FT-1000MP last year for $900. When I bought one new in 1997 it was just north of $1000. Same with the ol' IC-706MkIIG. Even the guy with a coffee can full of old air variable caps, large crystals and tube sockets is going to ask a lot because you can't find them anywhere else. The 7300 is a highly sought rig, but time will tell if it holds it's value. For now, 10% might be enough to tempt someone.

KC8VWM and AG5DB like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It cost a lot for Mint radios. o_O

3. K6LPM

K6LPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the 7300 will probably become the best and most selling rig of all time. I imagine someday in the distant future there will be so many of these rigs in abundance and as a result they will likely remain a great bang for the buck starter radio. I imagine it being similar to like say maybe a old Yaesu FT 101 where it was a decent and popular rig back in the day and will hold some value but enough of them out there to remain plentiful!
    I HATE THAT!
    I remember as a young kid and going to the hamfest with my paper route money. In retrospect I recal the guys with the tables full of top shelf equipment but never realized what their game was....
    I also fondly recall the spirit of ham radio that my elmer had taught me. The Comradre of fellow hams helping each other out and gathering in fellowship around hoardes of old stuff. I remember the kindness a stranger had shown a young kid. Selling this kid his first novice station heathkit receiver for all money in his pocket from his paper route which was about half the actual worth of his receiver. That OM actually refused my intial offer but later saw me walking alone down the isle and approached me with accepting my intial offer with the stipulation that I remember that he gave me a break to help me out as a newcomer and that I shall play it forward someday myself....
    Fast forward about a decade later as a young adult doing a major shack cleaning and emptying my closet of well,,,, a decade of radio stuff.
    I guess the horsetraders loved some of my stuff because they were all over me like buzzards on roadkill, helping me unload stuff off of my tailgate before the swapmeet even officially started. I had set some pretty decent prices on stuff that I felt would be useful to other less privledged hams that could put stuff I wasnt using to good use. Everyone of those guys that showed keen interest in my gear would lowball me. I would ask them if they really needed the item and had a use I would accept their offer.....
    Man!!! by 7:30 or 8:00 AM The swap had been only going for about 15 minutes and my whole load was mostly gone and I had some spare change to leave my spot in care of the neighboring seller and do some shopping with the couple hundred bucks. Much to my dismay there was three or four sellers that had big tables full of top shelf stuff and many smaller items that included many of the things I had just mostly given away for next to nothing ! All in the spirit of comradre and good karma.... What was particularly stuck in my memory was the guy who really had lowballed me on some SSB CB rig that I had re-rocked with extra crystals for ten meters. He insisted on having it for next to nothing and it was well ..... just a cb radio.... ok but I had five or six xtals that were kinda expensive back in those days and I wasnt too keen on just giving the rig away for nothing to a guy who obviously was a non-ham CBer type. He musta had a straw-man play the part of a needy ham in a wheelchair. Because I pretty much gave away the rig along with a nice bundle of accessories to help a ham get on the air. There at the lowballers table was the rig for over a hundred bucks wrapped in plastic along with a couple accessories spread upon a couple of the other tables that him and several of his friends occupied including the invalid gimp in a van with diabled persons plates. I turned him onto a Tram Radio with K40 antenna, a motorola mrf150 developement kit design brick amp, turner microphone, also threw in some BP4 batteries too! all for a pittance and maybe less than what the lowballer offered. Basically a CB super deal. When he was wheeling and dealing over the price on that radio I shot him down telling the buyer that the radio used to be mine and that it needed a major realignment and that the 100 dollars he was offering wa too much for radio I jut sold to his friend for fifteen dollars! DAMN THOSE OPPROTUNISTS!!!
    Funny thing is the last thing I had remaining was my old novice heathkit HR-10 reciever. It was the worse for wear after being left out in a rusty old shed with a rats nest inside and seven years of dusty old outdoor life. Just as I was about to load it up and go home a gentleman with a young boy about ten or eleven,,,, his son and also a daughter in tow inquired about the sad beat up HR-10 reciever. He also had a HR10 for a novice rig and his son was becomming interested in ham radio. He knew the radio was in poor shape but thought it would be a good project for a father and son. He offered me some small token amount of cash. I asked if hecwas sincere about working the radio back to life. He and his son both seemed very sincere. I gave his son the radio for free and he loaded it into his radio flyer wagon along with two orange crates full of Ham Radio Horizons magazines that I had collected since the early mid seventies all gratis free,,,,, I had emptied myself of all that great stuff. SCREW THE OPPROTUNISTS! INCLUDING THE ONE THAT SOLD ME THE MESSED UP KLM ALL MODE 2 METER RIG THAT HE SWORE WORKED WHEN HE GOT IT BUT HAD NO WAY TO TEST AT THE SWAPMEET!
    As a young adult you learn your way around the world. I am a poor horsetrader I buy cool stuff and always tell my xyl but it vwas a killer deal and I can flip it...... never happens just add it to my pile of good stuff that I never can get around to fixing polishing or selling! I BAD!

N5WRX and N2SUB like this.
  4. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately, no good deed goes unpunished. The circle of life story about your receiver is very cool!

5. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, there's a used Icom HF rig listed now that was taken in trade that the seller wants $40 MORE than what a new one sells for and he "knows they're available cheaper elsewhere".

I can't explain that either!:rolleyes:

KV4JW likes this.
  6. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking the exact same thing. My brain hurt from trying to figure his math.

N1VAU likes this.
  7. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I purchase NEW from the dealer--generally from HRO or DXEngineering. No problems, no worries and no headaches.

8. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably even a warranty! woohoo!

W2AI likes this.
  9. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You sir are a wild man, living on the edge! :D

(Merry Christmas!)

W2AI and NE1U like this.
  10. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not just in ham radio.

Used VW Eurovan campers regularly sell used (with over 100K miles) for 30K+. "Refurbished" they can sell for 50K+ or more. Cult status helps.

Used Honda Element routinely sell for near or above new prices. The model was dropped in2011, yet sales of used units is brisk. Again, might be cult statues or just a well thought out design.

People will pay crazy amount of $ for something they really want....you see it all the time.