Used radios selling for 99% new cost ...

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N5WRX, Dec 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Damn, my spontaneous purchases burn me Everytime. Just think I walked into HRO on a whim and plucked down almost $1400 cash including local sales tax on a new 7300 a couple years ago. $850.00 resale value? I will keep it! Add it to my pile of stuff I never ever get rid of....

AE1N likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here with my FT-950 that I bought impulsively at $1350 or so... now selling for $595

I use it almost daily still - along with the IC-7300 (also bought new at $1300). Each radio has its plusses and minuses though so I just keep them and will likely never get rid of either

Dave
    W7UUU

3. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

Price is determined by supply and demand...

... by hidden damage
    ... by false advertising
    ... by greed

4. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

As a favorite judge days, "The Cheap come out expensive!"

5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Most importantly ... by what people are willing to pay!

K1OIK likes this.
  6. N5MKY

N5MKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Usually it's a case of "I DID try to sell off some equipment, Honey. But no one wants to pay what it's worth." ;)

IOW, he told her he would sell it but he really doesn't want to.

KL7KN, N5WRX and KB4QAA like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be the "demand" part :)

Dave
    W7UUU

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to charge double the cost of a new radio that's between you and the buyer...no one else. If the buyer won't make the effort or maybe just don't care about researching prices that's their choice. It's not the way I purchase ham gear new or used but, that's my choice.

K1OIK likes this.
  9. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Marketing 101 ... price versus demand curve ... is the graph depicting the relationship between the price of a certain commodity and the amount of it that consumers are willing and able to purchase at any given price. It is a graphic representation of a market demand schedule.

Of course this makes no sense on ebay, but it has been going on sense the inception of re-selling anything to individuals. Put those same people in a crowd, and generally there will be enough mumbling to wake up those with more money than ... .. .

10. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

I see several Icom 880 DStar mobiles for the mid $200's. I've bitten my tongue more than once, as the ID4100 is $299 plus a mail in rebate. I just chose to let my wallet do the talking and bought a ID4100.