ad: cq2k-1

Used radios selling for 99% new cost ...

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N5WRX, Dec 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5WRX

N5WRX Ham Member QRZ Page

I see some hams selling year old radios priced very close to the new price.
    Why would anyone pay $850 for a used IC-7300 radio when a new one could be had for $950.
    Does the seller not know the current price of new gear?

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

What you describe is a 10.5% discount, not 1%. For some, perhaps a 10% discount is enough.

K1OIK and N3AB like this.
  3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

It is the buyer who decides if the price is too high. There is nothing stopping a seller from listing a $950 radio for $1000, except a buyer who knows what they want and how much they are willing to pay for it.

N3AB likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's more like 10% not 1% as has been noted.

Also: you don't have to purchase anything. It's the buyer who makes the market - not the seller

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AB likes this.
  5. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One percent would be $9.50, this looks to be more in line with an approximate ten percent discount. Perhaps there are some that will think that is a good deal... I don't... But hey-- it is up to the buyer to decide, not you, nor I, no one but the buyer gets to pick the purchase price.

Why worry about this, let the market take its course... It will sort out all of the flawed sell prices for us. An item is always worth at least what one pays for it...

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think in most ads "Offering" should be used instead of "Selling".

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Other factors.... most private sales don't have sales tax (I leave the legality of this out) and this is another additional cost. If the warranty is transferable, and has plenty of time remaining, then the 10% savings along with no tax might easily be incentive enough.

8. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

But very few warranties are transferable. Even if it includes the original warranty or registration card, that means nothing unless the manufacturer agrees to honor the warranty for a subsequent purchaser, and the vast majority of them want to see proof that you are the original purchaser.

On the other hand, if an electronic device lasts through the first three to six months, chances are excellent that it will last through the remainder of the warranty, so one might view the warranty to be of minimal value.

Anyway, I recommend being skeptical of warranties until you verify with the manufacturer.

And I, too, am often befuddled by the high prices asked for used equipment. In most cases, I'd rather purchase new from a known retailer for a few bucks more. But if others feel differently, that's fine by me.

9. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

And, what about that 1 year warranty from Icom? After the warranty has ended I expect a substantial discount.

BUT, people will spend their money the way they want. It is not for me to worry about even (especially?) if it might be my first born (adult) child.

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A fair market price for any product is that agreed upon between a willing seller and a willing buyer

Why do you care what other people pay for radios? ;)

K1OIK and NE1U like this.