Used Gear - Value Retention

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KG5WPZ, Jan 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KG5WPZ

KG5WPZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does used radio gear really hold the value that seems be attributed to it in the for sale section?

I understand that something is only as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it, but it seems that many of the used things in the swap meet either hold their value compared to new, or have some historical/nostalgic value.

I just think it's funny that a used piece of equipment will sell for approximately 80% of new and it doesn't have a warranty and may be missing some documentation or small knick-nacs that came with it.

KG5WPZ

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

People can ask whatever they want for a used rig. What they end up actually getting for it may be very different if it sells at all!
    Just about anything can have nostalgic value to someone out there. A couple good pictures of an old rig I once had suits me just fine.

I think that a lot of people buy a rig and then just don't use it very much. So, when they go to sell it they price it high because they just can't stand the idea that they wasted their money on it and feel they should be able to get most of their money back out of it since it is in really good condition (MAYBE, at least in their eyes anyway) and it had little use. Mostly they just want to get their money back out of something they didn't get much enjoyment out of. It's pretty unrealistic.

KB2MXV and KN7S like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Which is why eBay (if you can put up with it) is great for selling stuff, especially if you allow international buyers. You have a GLOBAL audience - not just the USA, and not just the membership of one forum or another.

That "nostalgic value" can drive some items to crazy prices, in any field of interest - not just radio. I personally have hundreds of examples of this, with radio parts, old car parts, antique figurines, old toys, vintage Judaica, you name it - where that ONE PERSON on earth with a burning desire to possess it would drive the bid through the roof.

Of course, the big downside: ya gotta deal with all the crap of eBay, Paypal, the International market (language problems), and customs forms.

But if you're willing to do what it takes, that nostalgic value can turn into cold hard cash :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  4. N5MKY

N5MKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet hams will whine about a $5.00 hamfest admission ticket.

5. KG5WPZ

KG5WPZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel like I missed something...

AJ4GQ and AG1W like this.
  6. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

My personal guide is 75% of the current new price - above that and it might be getting spendy - below that and you might have a good bargain. Of course, radios drop in price as their production run ages. In particular, high-end radios might be available new for what you might have paid second-hand a year ago. Some brands also seem to hold their value better than others. Discontinued radios are often nostalgia-driven, as are those from defunct but well-regarded manufacturers.

Mike

7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There's nothing magic about ham gear. Its value is demand driven, just like everything else.

It is true that most hobbyists overestimate the value of their toys. I think it is to be expected, especially when purchases are driven by desire rather than need.