Use the internal TNC on an FTM-100DR?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W1JP, Feb 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W1JP

W1JP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone figured out how to use the FTM-100DR's internal TNC for packet radio interface?

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, Yaesu has not exposed the internal TNC on its APRS-capable radios - HTs or mobiles - for any other uses beyond APRS on the radios. Kenwood's APRS-capable radios have TNCs that can be connected to a computer or other device to do more than APRS with the built-in functionality, some even including the old "cmd:" interface like with older TNCs, along with KISS mode.

73!

3. W1JP

W1JP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

According to Yaesu support and page 143 of the manual, you can put the radio in Data mode where it will send AX.25 packets from the computer. Now I need to figure out a way to test it.

4. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Find a friend with both a "Dummy Load" capable of attentuating the RF output of your radio, and who has a working TNC or soft-solution for AX.25 working on a compatible radio. Use an ancient computer program such as the shareware version of Procomm(tm for commercial) or PuTTY to send commands recognizing that you may need: 1. TTL conversion for your Yaesu Radio input ( this depends on the RS-232 or USB port of your computer and the radio ). 2. Full hardware 'handshaking' in the cabling ( almost all require DTR/DSR and most CD ). The appropriate handshaking in the software ( is that None, X-on/X-off, or Full ? ).
    Please do your best to keep test signals "Off the airwaves" ( hence the dummy load ). Thanks- 73

5. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

So, I was curious about this so I read the manual but I am only seeing the ability for the radio to OUTPUT GPS, waypoint or packet data to be READ by the PC using the SCU-20 data cable.

Page 111 of the manual is pretty clear that you need an external TNC for packet communications. In this case, the TNC would utilize the 1200 or 9600 bps packet data outputs and packet data input signals (basically audio, not rs-232 type data).

So essentially, WD9EWK is correct - you cannot use the internal TNC for packet on this radio.