Use proper phonectics?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KJ6MBY, Mar 9, 2011.

?

What Phonectics do you use?

1. ITU recognized only

69 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. ITU primarily, with occasional custom for fun

47 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. Custom primarily and ITU only rarely

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Never use ITU

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ6MBY

KJ6MBY Guest

Here's the thing...

Seems there are many out there with very rigid ideas about Ham, except for one aspect and that is proper use of the internationally recognized phonetic alphabet. Plenty of hams claim you aren't a ham if you got your license without code, or if you don't use a tube rig it is just an appliance, or - or - or ...endless other qualifications.

Yet these same people simply don't use the correct phonetic alphabet. Oh I'm not talking about the casual usage of something cute like 'Whiskey After Sex..." for WA6 because most of us have something along those lines, but not for proper identification, and particularly not when struggling across a very weak signal.

What's up with that? They can learn code but not twenty-six words?

I'm a pilot and so it is second nature to me, along with the occasional odd pronunciation like Quebec being pronounced K-Bec, and when I hear these no matter how weak the signal I understand the letter being represented. But when I hear "Dragon Slayer Romantic" is that DSR or DR?

So my question is - Do you use the proper phonetic alphabet when appropriate and save the cute phrase for casual, or do you never use the proper alphabet?

2. KC9SQR

KC9SQR Ham Member QRZ Page

The only time I use anything other then the ITU phonetics is "screwing around" on some of the local repeaters when I'm signing off from talking to people that already know who I am and what my call is.. Other then that I use ITU strictly to avoid confusion..

3. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

Military, Ship, Air traffic, Some Police department and dispatcher , only use International Phonetics. in those world , modified phonetic were not allowed, so I become accustom to it.

4. KC9RGW

KC9RGW Ham Member QRZ Page

I always use proper phonetics for weak signal stuff but I may throw something fun in when I know they got my call (such as signing off.)
    -Jack

5. KD0NIK

KD0NIK Ham Member QRZ Page

Learned in the military, so that's what I use.

I hear a LOT of non-ITU phonetics during contests, i.e. r = radio, n = nancy, c = canada, u = united, a = america, etc.

Sometimes I'm not sure if the person is calling out their location or trying to spell something.

6. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I always use what I think the other op will understand ...

de " Knife 8 Eye Eye Ida " ;)

7. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

The ITU phonetics do not always work well with DX in contests. So we often try location names or words that the non-English DX is familiar with. Also, I often have to switch to the old military phonetics for my call. When Quebec Bravo fails Queen Baker will work. We have to use whatever works. The poll is missing a choice for using other established phonetics.

8. K6SSA

K6SSA Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends; for some reason "Romeo Zulu Romeo" is hard for a lot of folks to decipher. When I get frustrated enough, and am reduced to saying my call at 1 wpm, I sometimes get creative.
    I have a "love/hate" relationship with my call.

9. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

Try Radio, Zanzibar, Radio. I think you'll be much happier. It's not the ITU phonetics, but have you ever met anyone named Romeo? Not all non-English speaking DX has read Shakespeare.

10. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll bet 'Kangaroo Eagle 7 Rhino Zebra Rhino' would be understood by most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.