Use Ham Radio without a license?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI4AX, Sep 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, so there's the technical and legal reality, and then there's practical real life.

The technical and legal reality is that an emergency does not permit an unlicensed person to transmit on the amateur frequencies.

Practical real life says that if an unlicensed person uses an amateur radio in a legitimate emergency, where the exigent circumstances leave little or no alternative, for the purpose of attempting to save life or property from immediate peril, nobody at the FCC or anywhere else is going to say a single word about it, except perhaps for the award ceremony, ticker tape parade, or the gifting of the key to the city.

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That wasn't the issue. Worry about the important stuff or, in this case, the legality of selling a radio.

3. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Who knows. Right now in SC hundreds of thousands of people are without power or water. Roads are still closed and traffic lights are out in many places. I haven't seen FEMA or the National Guard yet, and plenty of people here live in the boonies and rely on their preparedness to get by. Nobody is giving stuff away or patrolling to "rescue" people, and they need to survive with what they've got. It's not uncommon for lengthy power outages due to ice storms in the winter, and they produce the same situation.

I never knew the ham radio world was all about unicorns and rainbows. Bad stuff happens. You have to be ready.

NL7W likes this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you realize you just described the typical living condition of the average person in much of Africa, Asia and South America?
    They all survive quite well in most cases and they never heard of ham radio.

5. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why cant we do like the old days. Just shoot looters on sight. No fuss, no trial. They coming out of the local tennis shoe store, they get shot. Would stop a lot of that BS

KB2SMS and K3XR like this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

What? And violate their civil rights?

...yes, I am being sarcastic. Sad to say, there actually are people who feel like that. (But enough about my ex wife.). There were complaints about a news anchor who commented negatively on the air about looters (shown in the act!) being "racist" for pointing out that the looters were performing criminal acts -- and not a word against the looters for looting.

7. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They've actually got it much worse in Africa, Asia and South America. What's that got to do with ham radio?

8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was looking for a female hulk!

9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here you go! She's also a Prepress Operator and NOT to be trifled with after artwork has been submitted!! :D:D

[​IMG]

N7ANN likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's simple: it is NOT against the law for anyone to sell any radio to anyone. Why is there even a question?