ad: ProAudio-1

Use Ham Radio without a license?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI4AX, Sep 13, 2017 at 2:44 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI4AX

KI4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello to all:

I was surfing around on the internet this morning and thought I might check out what's for sale on Craigslist. I ran across someone advertising a bunch of Ham gear with the description claiming that you can use Ham Radios with out a License during emergencies. As far as I know there is nothing in Part 97 that allows the general public to use the Ham Bands, without a License, under any circumstances. Of course if Anarchy prevails, during a catastrophe, there would most likely be no one to stop them.

Anyway, I thought others might like to see the Craigslist post making the claim....

Here is the link:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/ele/d/ham-radioemergency/6294914306.html

Dan KI4AX

2. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is what I remember from my tech test and study guide.
    The downside is one really needs to have some undestanding of the basics, can't just buy a radio, plug it in and yell help.

3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Something doesn't smell right. Those pictures look like a functioning ham radio station. The phone number is questionable, too.

4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Academic arguments such as whether it is prohibited are silly unless you object to someone without a license using it in an emergency to save lives or facilitate rescues.

W7JZE, N9NAY and N1FMV like this.
  5. K8MHZ

Using a ham radio without a license, where imminent danger to life or property exists at that time, and no other forms of communication are present, is legal.

Learning to use the radio before the emergency and testing the antenna system by transmitting on the air is not legal.

W7JZE, K4YWZ, K2CAJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. KI3U

KI3U Ham Member QRZ Page

Well his statement is technically not a lie - he does not say it is legal, and indeed anyone "can" use whatever they decide to use during an emergency. But my feeling is that a guy who pitches in that vein cannot be trusted to deliver goods which have been obtained perfectly legally.

Berj / KI3U

W7JZE, K2CAJ, W3RXO and 2 others like this.
  7. K8MHZ

Good point.

Just like selling a car that can go 150 mph down the freeway. That doesn't mean you can legally do it.

8. KE0CAA

KE0CAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The sale is likely targeting the prepper market with that verbiage since preppers are generally more concerned with possessing the equipment and less concerned with operating it or knowing how it works. They will stick it in their faraday cage in a lead lined case and wait for a mushroom cloud in the horizon to go figure out how to use it with anyone else who was unfortunate enough to survive the blast.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2011-title47-vol5-part97-subpartE.pdf

§ 97.403 Safety of life and protection of property. No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.
    § 97.405 Station in distress. (a) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station in distress of any means at its disposal to attract attention, make known its condition and location, and obtain assistance. (b) No provision of these rules prevents the use by a station, in the exceptional circumstances described in paragraph (a) of this section, of any means of radiocommunications at its disposal to assist a station in distress.

W4IOA likes this.
  9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Same phone number

http://fflgundealers.net/fred-anthonys-guns-and-supply-inc.html

And this:

KY5U likes this.
  10. KI3U

KI3U Ham Member QRZ Page

Methinks you are carelessly smearing preppers with a wide brush. Many preppers are very conscientious and thorough in their multi-faceted prepper activities, including radio communications, as you would surmise if you took the time to seriously investigate the prepper scene.

Berj / KI3U

KK6NOH, W4KYR and KF5RHI like this.