ad: M2Ant-1

Use for CQ100

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by W2BLC, Dec 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W2BLC

W2BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

CQ100 is a VOIP system that requires all users to be licensed. Some laugh at it and say it isn't real radio. That said, when 75 meters goes bad in the evenings and our net can no longer continue - we switch to CQ100 and can continue on. We also have a section of the net that is only CQ100, to include net members that have moved south and/or can no longer have antennas.

Call it "not real radio" all you want. However, it provides a form of ham radio that fills several needs. More info at: http://www.qsonet.com/index.html It is cheap entertainment for the ham. I use it as another mode.

2. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said.
    before I put money for a rig after renewing my lic I logged on to cq-100 had a blast.
    contacts made all over the world, plus you can send pics.
    Dave AE7XG

3. W2BLC

I use it several hours a day and never tire of it. The pictures are just frosting on the cake.
    Bill W2BLC

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not radio. It's a simulation.

If you like it, fine. But it's not radio and should not be described as such.

5. W2BLC

Never said it was real radio - you mentioned that. Many of the users no longer have HF stations due to various limitations. They enjoy it - it is the only way they can easily remain in the fold of amateur radio. They enjoy long QSOs and friendships - I am sure you would not begrudge their pleasures.

6. KA2PTE

KA2PTE Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bumping up this post with news I created a new web resource for CQ100 users over at: https://groups.io/g/cq100/
    Right now there is a public list of almost all the nets on the public Wiki, thanks to W2BLC's cooperation. Email reminders go out
    to all participants describing the net , times and other details. Any notice can be muted if the user does not care to be informed of any such info.

Primarily I got that going to help promote CQ100 a bit more as it seemed to be loosing people and even with just the free trial, I found it very interesting
    and agree with Bill that you can look at it as another mode, and with poor band propogation, wind taking down antennas, it could come as a handy resource to have at
    your station. Its also a global system, where you get DFQ quality audio with any contact. Definately worth at least the free trial IMO.