ad: vanity

usb speaker

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KB2WVO, Jun 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

i have a raspberry pi... i dont know if it is drivers or what.. but the 3.5m plug is not or seems to not be working...

i can use usb as i got it working with my signalink.
    what is needed to make a usb speaker..
    iam unable to find homebrew of this. so that might be a hint..

2. K1XS

K1XS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you checked the audio output selection? Had the same issue it’s my Pi until it found that it defaulted audio output to HDMI. I don’t recall which version of the OS I was using but I could not get it to send audio to the jack. Ended up using an HDMI to VGA adapter with a 3.5 mm audio jack.

KB2WVO likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You need the proper connector, 4 conductor. The video is on the same jack.

Do not go by color code, Check the cable with a ohm meter.

You need to use headphones or a amplified speaker.

A cheap USB audio fob adapter will work if you want to use USB to feed a amplified speaker.

Have Fun.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    KB2WVO likes this.
  4. KB2WVO

yep. did the raspi-configre or what ever it was .. so many com lines ago lol ..
    i went back in the settings thru the latest raspbian. got it working... but yep i came across that on the wb pages...

tho the idea of gettin a usb set might be a way to go not sure now..

iam tryin to make this very very portable for digi. but when i wanna tinker lol at home like to be able to plug in easy..

iam posting some images below.. as this post is from the RPi...

if i can get the flash workin i might be all set lol ... grrrr but i have a B+ guess i might have to grab a RPi3 to get flash working..

did the gnash with chromauin and firefox. only one site doesnt work. spectrum cable.. grrrrrr

5. KB2WVO

this is 1st gen setup lol you can see i made boo boo when i put the pi in the bottom as it is... i will have to redo a case of some sorts and then i can plug in easyer to the 3.5 grrrrr it was more ment for digi so usb was out back .. but as i got it working better .. plans changed. digi still yes.. but heck why not tv or music or so on lol

Attached Files:

KA9JLM likes this.
  6. KB2WVO

not sure why video is on usb port. it has hdmi port. or i missunstanding..

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I did not know your Pi version.

The Pi3B uses 3.5mm connector with audio and NTSC video.

[​IMG]

KB2WVO likes this.
  8. KB2WVO

ooo i dont know on the newer ones...

this one is just B+ this one has a HDMI port. its before the 2 and 3 versions.. i think.. lol its 2 years old.. might be 3 years.. memory isnt good sometimes ..

it wont do flash no idea why ... but its ok .. its more for digi and ham stuff on go ..