ad: HamHats-1

USB Morse Code Keyboard Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Mar 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

AF7XT, K0SAV, KM4SFF and 4 others like this.
  2. KB7UXE

KB7UXE Ham Member QRZ Page

???? what happened to the maple syrup ? ????
    ;-)

MU0WLV, W7XLR, K4GDJ and 1 other person like this.
  3. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Stay tuned for a future video update on that... gotta wait for the sap to finish running!

KB7UXE, MU0WLV and KC2FQ like this.
  4. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thought she was tapping out CW on a maple tree with a hammer, Hi HI .... ..

AD6FR, AK5B and NK2U like this.
  5. KB6QT

KB6QT Ham Member QRZ Page

Please do not add/commit intermediate files as shown in the video. This is not good source management policy. You should only commit your actual source change, just one line, and leave the rest as ignored "stuff" that gets regenerated anyway during the build. This huge commit has a bunch of useless binary and intermediate files that only mucks up the works for the next person.

-- Jim Lieb, retired Linux and networking mainainer.

K4AGO, WA5KM, KA2FIR and 1 other person like this.
  6. N0BML

N0BML Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with Jim and I'll be submitting a pull request later today to remove the intermediate files and update .gitignore to ignore them in the future.

KM9G likes this.
  7. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

:eek::eek:KEYBOARD for morse-code:eek::eek: i can picture the purists foaming at the mouth lol....i wonder if anyone has thought of doing FT8 with a Paddle :p

K4AGO, N2AMM, N7KO and 4 others like this.
  8. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah. "Where's the SKILL? The computer is doing all the work!" DUCK! Another head is exploding!

EDDYSTONE, W4RP and WT4J like this.
  9. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see the relation since a keyboard isn't used for FT8.

10. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not a keyboard sending code, it's a paddle that you can use to send keyboard presses via a computer.
    I think its cool.

AJ6KZ, KM9G and KD9LFZ like this.
  11. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep not quite foaming but shaking my head

WN1MB likes this.
  12. KB0R

KB0R Ham Member QRZ Page

How does this compare to a WinKeyer USB by K1EL?
    I like that my WinKeyer works well with my logging and contesting programs.

13. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

If I understand thinks, winkeyer works to _generate_ Morse code from a computer. This project works to _receive and decode_ morse code and then emulate the keyboard input _to_ a computer. Makes for some interesting and fun chains of computers talking to each other with morse code :)

Who here wants to send ascii e-mail or edit a document using a paddle?

-Jon

KM9G likes this.
  14. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, I misunderstood this project.

It does not receive CW type morse code. Instead it uses a paddle as a 'dot or dash' input, and then decodes these to characters. It then is supposed to mimic a keyboard and send the characters to a computer. So if you know how to use an iambic paddle to send morse code, you can use that paddle with this gizmo in place of an external keyboard.

However this device would not function with (say) received audio or a straight key.

Note that such is possible, and has been done with the arduino platform, so I think it would be entirely plausible to combine the concepts and have a single straight key functioning as your computer external keyboard.

-Jon

AJ6KZ likes this.
  15. KK6YAE

KK6YAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone ever thought to add the space character to an actual keyboard to morse encoder/decoder type software so two computers can communicate with CW without the errors that come with the spacing? Maybe this is a non issue... Just curious. I know a lot of people are using keyboards during contests to do 50+ wpm back/forth...

AC0GT likes this.