USB connector tech is great, but not so universal is it?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K3RW, Jul 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember the good ole days of USB technology. Wow, that guy must be rich! Such a simple yet helpful invention.

Later came 2.0 and 3.0. Biggest noticeable change was improved speed, and they kept it backwards compatible (yay!).

Great technology, but not so universal now. I need adapters for darned near everything.

Now I need a guide so I know which one I'm buying for my cell phone, which is different than my 7200, or my wife's cell phone, etc. Well, at least this may help a few people. Maddening that 'universal' would mean you'd need so many different adapters and combinations.

Most of these images are from Amazon, so that you can know which one you need to buy.

s-l300.jpg MiniB_connectorends.gif 71xRfbPT-CL._SL1500_.jpg usb-connector-id-guide.jpg

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

"The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."

That's a very Dilbert-esque saying, but it's very, very true.

KU4X, W7UUU, K3UJ and 4 others like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you don't understand plugs, you don't know Jack.:p

And don't ever yell hello to Jack in an airport.

"Hi, Jack!":eek:

KU4X, W7UUU, N4FZ and 1 other person like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well... certainly not on the plane... :eek:

5. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

How dare they not know how the future will be.

Rege

K3RW likes this.
  6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This problem is bad as a consumer. It's pure hell as a gear manufacturer. Keeping up with software patches for existing products and planning to deal with obsolescence takes up quite a bit of tech support bandwidth.

K3RW and N4FZ like this.
  7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

And then there's mini and micro HDMI, which look disturbingly similar to mini and micro USB.

I think this means I'm officially an OF now. So get off my lawn.

K3RW likes this.
  8. N1CTO

N1CTO Ham Member QRZ Page

And USB C is broken from the git go. The tech companies have more or less ignored the IEEE and created non-standard pieces of crap. https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/5/13523372/usb-c-macbook-adapter-donglelife-problems-thunderbolt

9. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the Serial Bus that's Universal, not the connector.

Then again, there's USB 1.(x); USB 2.(x); USB 3.1, 3.2, 3.(x)...at least they're backwards compatible.

AA7EJ and AG5DB like this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

So they claim, But not always true.