USB Audio CODEC

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NA6Y, Feb 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. NA6Y

NA6Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been running FT-4 and FT-8. In the WSJT-x settings, the soundcard gave me the option of choosing USB Audio CODEC for the input and output. They are no longer there. The only choices now are Realtek Audio or default device. What happened to the Audio CODEC. I'm wondering if they are part of the WSJT-x software??
    Has body run into this situation.
    73's,
    John NA6Y

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Win 10 by any chance?

N4UP likes this.
  3. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

John, NA6Y:

The USB Audio Codec device is generated by the device drivers from either the radio manufacturer, or the manufacturer of the audio CODEC in the radio - Silicon Labs and FTDI CODECs are commonly used in ham radio transceivers. The driver software usually can be downloaded from either the radio manufacturer or the software driver manufacturer's website.

However, as KP4SX points out, if your PC is running Windows 10, it is highly possible an automatic update to Windows 10 was downloaded and installed on your PC (most likely unbeknownst to you). There have been too many tears shed over Windows 10 updates doing terrible things to comm ports and other devices in PCs, especially owned and operated by ham radio operators.

The WSJT group, assuming one exists, most likely has the solution you need. Check groups.io to see if there is a WSJT group on the groups.io web site.

For some reason, the USB Audio CODEC driver has been moved to another directory on your PC, or, has been deleted from the PC altogether. The solution, therefore, is to find the driver - if it is still on the disk drive, and move it back; or, download the driver software from either the radio manufacturer's website, or the driver software manufacturer's website.

Regards,
    Bernie, AF9US

N4UP, GW0ARK and KK4NSF like this.
  4. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

The USB Audio CODEC is also used by an external USB sound card or a radio interface such as the SignaLink-USB that contains a built-in sound card. Step one would be to reboot the computer. Don't put it in sleep mode, power it down and let it do a complete reboot. If the CODEC still is not present then you'll need to reinstall it from an external source. If you are using an interface like the SignaLink then it should install from the supplied CD. If you use a direct USB connection to the radio then you'll need to download it from the Mfgs web site. As soon as it is installed then WSJT-x will display it as an option.

5. NA6Y

6. NA6Y

Yes, I'm running Win 10. Been running for about a year without a problem. It just dawned on me that the other day there was an update from MS.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Rolling back the update is one option.

But it would be nice to find how MS screwed up your setup. (Because it will happen again using Win 10)

Good Luck.

N4UP and KK4NSF like this.
  8. NA6Y

Thanks for takiing the time to respond. How do you roll back the MS update?

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. My USB codec disappeared several months ago after the last Win10 update. This is the third time this has happened to me with Win10 updates.

Yes, it's annoying. No, I don't condemn Win10. Pick any OS since the beginning of microcomputers and each has had problems and quirks.