USB-62 Cable Useful for Rig Control?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by W5WAY, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5WAY

W5WAY Ham Member QRZ Page

(This is both a hardware and software question; hope it flies in this forum.)

I'm wondering if the USB-62 cable contained in the Yaesu ADMS-4B-USB programming kit will also work for computer control of my FT-897D using HRD or similar control software?

If not, can someone point me at the proper cable? I've already mistakenly bought the CT-62 cable (db9 serial -- who has serial ports anymore?); don't want to make a similar mistake.

TIA, Jon W5WAY

2. W5WAY

Oops. Please disregard. I think I found my answer at the 'bay (kawamall)

3. AB9RU

AB9RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the cable from RT Systems to do rig control on my FT857D, which is labeled USB-62B. You may be able to find a USB to serial adapter for a decent price. I've been using an IOgear adapter to control my FT847 with no problems with a Win7 laptop

4. WD0MYM

WD0MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll take a guess and say the RT cable will work just fine. If you'll notice on the RT website, go to the page that has your software & cable on it and they do sell the software and cable seperately and in red it says right below the cable:

[SIZE=-1]This cable will also work with radio control software just as the original CT-62 serial cable did.[/SIZE]

The stock Yaesu cable works well with the Keyspan adapter, can't remember the exact model#. I now use the Rt cables on everything because of the price and they work well. I have one for my 950 and 857d.

I don't think you need to order anything from EBay...looks like you have what you need. I assume you know you'll need something like a Signalink USB, etc. or a homebrew cable to get the sound RX and TX between the computer and the radio for digital modes.

Jon

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  5. W5WAY

Thanks guys; appreciate the help.
    Jon, thanks; I haven't gotten around to digital modes... yet. Still getting the basics set up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.