USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 adapter

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA3LKN, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I just ordered a new laptop and I notice it's tricked out with USB 3.0 female ports

Virtually everything I have, like a zillion thumb drives are USB 1.0 or 2.0.

I was expecting to find some 99 cent adapter on ebay with a female USB 1 or 2 and male USB 3.o on the other end from China that would allow me to use my antique USB devices.

No such luck.

Am I missing something?

2. WA3LKN

I just figured it out!

No adapter necessary!

That makes life simpler.

KB3VWG likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Normally they are backward compatible, But not always.

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

USB 3.0
    This improved USB standard was first demonstrated at the Intel Developer Forum in September 2007. The major feature is what is termed the SuperSpeed bus, which provides a fourth transfer mode which gives data transfer rates of 4.8 Gbit/s.
    The standard is backwards compatible with USB 2.0

However, you may have some issues —
    depending on hardware selection (real part or counterfeit) by manufacturer.

KB0MNM likes this.
  5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am backwards compatible, but only when I turn around.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. WA3LKN

Thanks for the info gents! Sometimes I think I'm backwards AND incompatible when it comes to basic technology.

I hadn't ever even tried to plug a USB 3.0 into a USB 2.0 jack or vice versa before, assuming they were physically incompatible.

When I couldn't find adapters on ebay that was a tip-off.

Live and learn.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx for your post, I'm glad to learn that too.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There CAN be some incompatibilities. I have an (old, OLD) IBM ThinkPad (T-22) that has ONE internal USB port. All USB devices work in THAT port. I also have a Belkin PCMCIA > dual USB 2.0 port adapter, and some thumb drives will NOT work with the adapter. All have a white insulator, so I can't tell which is which, but I presume the flash drives are all at least USB 2.0

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends a lot on the USB Root hub that the computer has built in.

KB0MNM likes this.
  10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Backward compatibility is fairly common in the computer industry, but forward compatibility is sometimes limited. Some of the Apple folks I work with have recently discovered that their older PCs will be totally incompatible with newer Thunderbolt external drives. Now this has to do with protocols and speed. KA9JLM talks about the USB Root hub, which can be viewed in Device Manager ( or Device Mangler, as some refer to it - because you can do harm if you fail to take notes or a long printout ). That would be in the category of USB protocols or versions eg. USB 2.0, USB 2.1, USB 3.0. The backward-forward thing relates to the USB 'host' needing firmware ( similar to software yet more 'permanently embedded' ) drivers to communicate. Additional features equals possibility of additional sales, likewise speed of access equals possibility of additional sales.