Usa resident using uk callsign

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG5BJV, Feb 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA3QGD

    WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

    Sorta shows how VALUED the privilege of A Amateur Class license is regarded by THE ARRL relegated to the same consideration given to a scratch it's lottery ticket,wanna guess who the losers are?
  2. KG5BJV

    KG5BJV Ham Member QRZ Page

    I think i really wanted to say that if you are living in the usa your lazy if you dont make the effort to take the test and get a usa call. If you want to let the whole world know your proud to be british put your alias uk call on here also and put the union jack on your profile, enough said.
  3. N2SUB

    N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    This makes me wonder about another issue we have in the US. When I got my license, I was taught that when you were operating outside of your call area you were support to indicate it as such: N2SUB/4 . Nobody does it anymore. Were the rules changed at some point, or is it just considered a quaint, outdated idea these days? I never thought much about it after vanity calls became the new norm, so when I moved to 4-land, I never changed my callsign. Technically, by the old rules I should always identify as N2SUB/4.
  4. WD0BMS

    WD0BMS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    In the US only the Amateur Radio operator license is still issued. The Amateur Radio Station License portion has not been issued for many years.
    As such one only need identify with the call sign, as location is no longer included in the license. No modifiers such as portable, mobile, or call area if different than the one shown on your license are required.
    Dave WD0BMS
    KC8VWM and AG5DB like this.
  5. K3XR

    K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

    That's interesting and the purpose of giving the exams and issuing the calls was ?? And it was all legal because ?
  6. K4KYV

    K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

    Technically, there is still a separate station and operator licence, but they are combined into one entry in the FCC data base. Been that way for years. The station location is assumed to be the licensee's mailing address. They quit requiring the number in the callsign to correspond to the actual call district when they allowed a ham to move to a new location without changing callsigns. I once had a "secondary" station licence with a separate 1st district callsign when I was living in the Boston area but still maintained a station here. After that change I had to choose between the two callsigns at next renewal; they would renew only one since the "secondary" call no longer served a purpose after the callsign number was no longer tied to the station's location.
  7. KC8VWM

    KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

    It used to be that you needed to specify a TIN# or a SSN# to register in ULS and apply for a US license but I understand they did away with that.
  8. AB3TQ

    AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

    Are you making reference to a US Citizen with a SSN, or a Non-citizen who does NOT have a SSN? As a US Citizen with a SSN, when you provide a SSN during online registration, they will provide you with a FRN (Federal Registration Number). Using that FRN keeps your SSN off of all your ham paperwork.

    So were you really saying that if you provide an FRN at exam time, your SSN never touches that paperwork? To me that isn't quite the same as saying "I understand they did away with that".
  9. KC8VWM

    KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

    I am saying that it used to be that if you didn't produce a TIN # or SSN #, then it wasn't possible for any foreign person to ultimately apply for a US amateur radio license.

    I am also saying the requirement to provide this information is no longer the case because, "I understand they did away with that."
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

Share This Page

ad: dxeng