Usa resident using uk callsign

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG5BJV, Feb 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KG5BJV

KG5BJV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone, I have been living in the USA now for over 15 years. When I first came over I used my Uk call for a very short time 2/3 months as I understood I could following the rules. After this time as I was going to be a resident I took the USA exam and got my USA call. My question is so why are there people from the UK that have been here for a number of years using there UK call with a USA prefix? I think this is against the rules you should have to take the USA exam and get a USA callsign??

2. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

We seem to have a problem with them identifying in any way shape or form,almost as if they were somehow ashamed of their enhanced EXTRA CLASS privilege,so if you have a valid license and a call you may feel free to use it often

3. KG5BJV

Im sorry i didnt really get what you were saying. My point is i think that they feel they dont need to put the time and effort in to get a usa call. If your a usa ham visiting england you can use your call only for 3 months then you have to pay for 6months at a time so you should take the rsgb exam. So im pretty sure it works the other way round also. Sounds like they just dont want to do it i dont think its legal.

M6GYU likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew one fella who went for many years using his G4***/W4. I don't think that was legal, though. He now has a US call and has also kept his UK call.

5. KG5BJV

Well using a uk call in the usa is for when you are visiting the usa. Im sure i read its for a short visit up to 3 months its called a cept or reciprical licence . All i can say is doing a callsign look up for a uk call and they have a usa address for a number of years makes me wonder?? If i had to study and take the test so can they and if they did take the test then show your usa call also but long term even under this situation you should be using your usa call.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The way the rules are written, you have to use the call sign applicable to where you are "living."

So if you are from the UK, but you are "living" in the USA, then use a call sign from the USA.

If you are from the UK, but your are "visiting" in the USA, then use a call sign from the UK.

Most visitors from other countries don't usually have a USA call sign but there are exceptions. If you somehow have a USA callsign but are living in the UK, but yet you are visiting the USA, it's permissible to use your USA call sign while "visiting" in the USA.

However, a UK amateur radio license is not applicable to operating while living in the USA any differently than a UK drivers license is valid to operate a motor vehicle when living in the USA. If you live here, you must get a USA license.

7. KG5BJV

Thankyou for clarifying this and explaining it so there is no confusion. Its not my purpose to get anyone in trouble, what people do is there own buisiness. Just want any UK hams that are doing this you now know no excuses go take the fcc test and use your usa call. Why wouldnt you its not hard dont be lazy and it lets people know where you are in the USA , also i think it shows respect, if you live here you need to aby by the rules enough said.

8. KG5ILR

KG5ILR Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if my old G6 call is still valid ?

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

What about those Cubans, who have probably never set foot on US soil, and most likely wouldn't be allowed to leave Cuba even if they wanted to, but were given US licence exams by that ham expedition to Cuba that was written up in QST? They were able to get a US callsign and licence, apparently by using a mailing address lent to them from one of the US members of that expedition. They were neither visiting nor living in the USA but still, they were able to become legally licensed by the FCC, for whatever good it would do.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's right. It doesn't really do them any good to have a US license if they are living in Cuba, or any other country.