ad: wmr-1

US FCC Exams in the UK

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by K5GHS, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5GHS

    K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

    1) I didn't know non-us citizens could take a test for and obtain a ham licence in the US. I could be wrong but I thought that was one requirement.....

    2) I don't know what a UK full licence is, but if it is the equivelant to our Extra, then all of the people complaining about dumbing down of licence testing should REALLY be upset that a Tech here could get the UK Extra with just Technician written. (Now, I COULD be wrong, and I don't have time to research, so please advise if I'm wrong!)

    I could be wrong on both counts, and if so, please let me know, but this is how I'm reading this....
  2. KG4ZLB

    KG4ZLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Just before eveyone gets all exited about this, its wrong!

    Ofcom will grant an intermediate or full UK licence against a US held General or higher licence. That means theory and, currently, code testing as well!

    A US Tech licence is even more restrictive than a UK M3 call, its VHF/UHF only and Ofcom will not grant full UK privileges to US Tech holders.

    In addition, you must be careful about getting a US licence if you are in the UK unless you can prove some sort of residency status. Check Ofcom's rules for similar restrictions!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page