US Exam first time in Thailand

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio License Test Schedules' started by hs8vzw, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. hs8vzw

hs8vzw Ham Member

US Exam first time in Thailand, I will join this exam but I am not a US address Who can help me? Please !! :D:D

[​IMG]

2. AE7HF

AE7HF Ham Member QRZ Page

Get a PO box and have the mail forwarded. The FCC just needs a way to contact you via mail.

3. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been thinking about getting an ARRL Volunteer Examiner certification and offer American exams in Canada. I'm also working on getting a Canadian AE soon (Accredited Examiner, same thing as a VE). There's one hitch with American overseas exams though.

Here in Canada only one AE is needed to examine a group of applicants. In the US at least three VE's are needed for a test session. It's amazing that there are three American VE's in Thailand that are willing to put together a testing session. Is there an exemption from the "three VE" rule for overseas exams?

73, Jordan

4. HK2LS

HK2LS Subscriber QRZ Page

Even though you are taking the US exam in another country don't you still need written permission to operate in that country? And when you operate in another country you would use your US assigned call or do you need a call from that country?

I live in Colombia and there are no US exams scheduled here so I am arranging my trip to go back to the US this fall and take my exam. I thought about maybe in the future becoming a VE here.

And yes, I have a PO Box in Florida and the mail is forwarded to me every 2 weeks.

5. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I emailed the ARRL VEC. The same examination rules apply both inside and outside of the US. It'd be very difficult to find three VE's to do a session in Montreal. I'll send hams that want an American ticket 60 miles south into Vermont or New York.

I'm glad that for the rules in place. The VE system is very stringent and it has paid off over the years with a very ethical system. I'd rather have ethically-safeguarded exams than bend the VE system to allow out of country exams with one examiner.

73, Jordan

6. AE7HF

AE7HF Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck I would love to go to Thailand again (was there last year). I'll be a VE there. There is no rules that say a US VE team can't operate outside the USA. All the same is followed. FCC just requires a US address to send mail too.

AE7HF
    ARRL VE and W5YI Head Contact VE CVE~31153
    Las Vegas, NV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.