ad: ProAudio-1

US County Award Bugs/Errors

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by MM0LID, Aug 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. MM0LID

MM0LID Ham Member QRZ Page

Good day,

Been doing some research of my worked and confirmed US Counties etc.

Came across the following issues though.

For example.. why dles the Federated states of Micronesia appear in the award, if you cannot enter the county to the station, like you can with a regular US Station?

Also the same for American Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands and Palau.

There is also what seems to be an error added with a county added For a state under ST

Confusing

Please see attached images

73 MM0LID

Attached Files:

2. MM0LID

Also can this be explained?

Im quite sure there is no county 36501

See attached image

Attached Files:

3. VA7STV

VA7STV QRZ Engineering Manager Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We used a standard list of counties and it looks like it incorrectly listed some counties as being mainland US. Federated States of Micronesia, Palau, Marshall Islands, Northern Mariana Islands and 2 non-existant counties should not have been included and have been removed.

Currently these DX Entities count towards the US Counties Award
    Code:
    006   Alaska
    009   American Samoa
    103   Guam
    110   Hawaii
    202   Puerto Rico
    285   US Virgin Islands
    291   United States of America
    Thank you for bringing this error to our attention.

4. VA7STV

VA7STV QRZ Engineering Manager Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We try to stick to the ADIF (http://adif.org) standard where ever possible with our logbook implementation however sometimes we receive data from users that doesn't adhere close enough to the standard for us to understand.

ADIF requires the county to be provided as COUNTY NAME, ST (ST = State abbreviation). Some other software stores the county using a FIPS code. We support both of these formats and display the full text version. 36501 Looks like a FIPS code however it is not, 36### represents New York so its closed.

When we cannot convert the value a user provided to something useful we show what they entered.

5. MM0LID

Thanks for the response.
    Glad i could point out some errors.
    All part of the helping each other process.
    Otherwise things look good.

Thanks again 73

6. KB1JTB

KB1JTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Previously posted in News-> New QRZ operating award

All of my contacts are mobile. Most are in my 'KB1JTB' e-logbook, with a few in my 'KB1JTB/m' log.

None of my contacts show my actual mobile QTH, not even those imported from LoTW. Is a repair method available?

The award rules require contacts to have been made from a restricted locus. For example, the US Counties Award: "All contacts must originate within a 50 mile radius of a given geographic point." If the correct QTH information is ultimately incorporated in all QSOs, will the QRZ award analyzer be able to sort one's e-logbook for qualifying contacts?

Regards--
    M.R.Kane
    KB1JTB

7. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The correct logbook to use is the one carrying the same callsign as used during the QSO.
    You cannot transfer QSOs from one to another logbook, but you can add and delete to either (assuming unconfirmed).

The award analyzer only checks to determine whether or not a match exists, it cannot correct data.

8. KB1JTB

KB1JTB Ham Member QRZ Page

All of my contacts are mobile.

None of my contacts were made from the location assigned by QRZ. I do not have a fixed station.

The issue is not related to the existence of my 2 QRZ logbooks, but rather assigning location to each contact individually, instead of globally from my FCC mailing address. This has been a chronic problem for 'highly mobile' stations, and was initially discussed with QRZ administration when importation of LoTW contacts was implemented. At that time it was pointed out the location information included in the LoTW data was not being preserved in QRZ. This also implies the other station does not receive correct credit towards QRZ awards for contacting my actual location.

N4UP recently raised the same issue, which is reported to be fixed for his logbooks. Therefore the first query above is how to fix my logbook? For example, should I delete all my QRZ contacts and re-import all ~8000 again from LoTW? Export an ADIF file of my log from LoTW?

( QRZ created the '/m' logbook here through importation of my log from LoTW. I do not routinely upload any contacts to the QRZ '/m' logbook. In fact, those entries are duplicates of contacts in my KB1JTB logbook. I do not want to combine these e-logbooks.)

The second query above has nothing to do with 'correcting' data, but rather whether the award analyzer will recognize if QSLs satisfy the 50-mile locus restriction.

(Admittedly, these items are only important to mobile operators and those who contact us. At present, only LoTW allows the other station to be correctly credited for my QTH. It also allows sorting QSLs by my location in order for me to qualify for awards subject to a locus restriction.)

Regards--

M.R.Kane
    KB1JTB