ad: ProAudio-1

UR RST 599...SKCC xxxxx...Bye, 73, CUAGN

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N4MU, Jan 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Your CW experiences and mine are very different. Conests? Sure.... but not the day to day. I have many enjoyable CW QSOs all the time. I'm sorry to hear your experience is apparently different.

JT65? JT9? Yeah - that format wears thin pretty quickly except for "playing radio while watching the big game"

I love CW and have lots of quality QSOs all the time. They often are what you make them to be.

Dave
    W7UUU

KE4OH and WA7PRC like this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's something I started doing while participating in last weekend's WES and I found works really well;
    To differentiate between an SKCC WES inquiry QSO and a possible Rag Chew caller I simply answer DE n8aft GM or GA, GE K.
    That way if it is a SKCC member they have a go ahead to start with their SKCC info drill to which I exchange info es TNX 73 SK de n8aft.
    Now the fellows not a being a participant in the WES but looking to converse all started the QSO in the usual, hello, RST, QTH, OP is;
    fashion since I did not respond to his call with only an SKCC info drill. I've left open the option for the other op to decide the QSO's content.
    I've found it frustrating to find a friendly rag chew or casual QSO during these events myself... Seemingly every cw op assumes we are all
    a contestant. Those who are not feel excluded and rightly so. I think this approach serves both contestants and non-participants equally well.
    Since I am not a number chaser it really isn't an issue if the QSO is about exchanging our member numbers or something else.
    A big plus to working a WES is when you're running QRP. I've made QRP contacts that I would otherwise not have simply because of the larger crowd.
    Enjoy CW anyway you find it, be polite to the other op, work at their speed, have fun meeting people. Pretty simple. VY 73 lane de n8aft ..

W1BV likes this.
  3. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wondering how many of those who may be annoyed by a SKCC number exchange would be more than willing to jump into a DX pileup just to get their "599" and if your lucky "TU" ?

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto here.

I work CW almost every day and usually "start" by finding a clear frequency and calling CQ. 90% of the time that evolves into a rag chew, provided the other op actually knows code.:)

We get over the RST-RIG stuff pretty quickly and head into other subjects. Lately, the WX has been a big subject (it's usually mundane, but the WX all over has been so weird lately it can be worth discussing -- like we have record-breaking rainfall in CA after five years of terrible drought, etc) but then up until the Superbowl, NFL football was a big one; NBA basketball and NHL hockey are still big ones; starting in a couple of months MLB will be. With DX stations who don't care much about our local weather or sports, I usually ask a lot of questions about their families, their work, their food (yummy), anything.

Typical QSO is 30-45 minutes, many are longer, at 25-40 wpm.

N4MU likes this.
  5. G0IIK

G0IIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't need a 'life story', but just a few words would give someone a hint as to a common interest instead of your contact having to fish for info!

NK2U and W5BIB like this.
  6. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I was active in SKCC for a while before I got more into contesting and picked up paddles. But I may be able to offer some perspective.

Some reasons for the hi and bye qso's.
    1. New Hams are likely drawn to SKCC. It offers slow code practice and members who will forgive an undeveloped wrist. New hams also want to make lots of contacts (generalizing of course). Why do you think new hams (or at least young ones) avoid 80m nets. No-one logs the contacts and the conversations are boring. New Hams love things like OMISS though. Both are nets, but the goal is different and one comes with a reward.
    2. Rag-Chew material gets old. I don't care about the weather at your QTH. I might if I weren't a meteorologist for a living, but chances are I already know.
    3. SKCC rewards contacts by quantity, not quality (for the most part). This isn't any different from DX or contesting. Efficiency is key to get where you want to go.
    4. They having trouble copying you. If your fist stinks, if you equipment is riding the struggle bus, you can't slow down, or propagation sucks, it's often not worth the fight. I'll find you again some other time and have a conversation when conditions warrent.
    5. They can't manage a rag chew with the confidence I can a more simple exchange.

Are they good reasons? Not for everyone. But they make sense to me. I'll start getting back into making some SKCC contacts as I just picked up a bug. I still need to add some weight to slow it down a bit.

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I mostly operate AM phone, occasionally a little CW. Operating AM, you can still hear in use over the air, a substantial number of homebrew rigs, or modified/converted military and commercials rigs. Topics of conversation often include technical details such as how a transmitter, receiver or antenna was constructed or modified, something that has become about equally rare with CW or SSB.

I rarely attempt to work DX, whether phone or CW, since those QSOs are nearly always the rubber-stamp variety, down to the mandatory 5-9 or 599 signal report even when the signal is just barely copyable. I would love to occasionally rag-chew with a DX operator, especially when he is located in a country I have lived in or visited, but that doesn't happen very often. My station is very capable of 160/80/40m DX, but I very seldom exercise that capability.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

We don't need to post anything and, many hams don't. Before the Internet and QRZ existed, we (somehow) managed to have long and interesting QSOs. We still can, and do.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. KV4RH

KV4RH Ham Member QRZ Page

We should ALL continue to attempt to force other ops to run their stations they way WE want them to.

I mean, what good is the hobby if someone gets to run their equipment the way they choose, and that way happens to not well align with how *we* feel it should be done?

Run your rig. I'll run mine. And the next guy will run his. If collecting numbers makes him happy, so be it.

KD2RON, KI5WW, N3PDT and 3 others like this.
  10. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy collecting QSOs...and I'm not fussy about the size, shape, or flavor they come in .
    It's just a game to me, and I still get a kick out of someone answering my call, or me being able to copy their fist....just keep it under 20wpm pse....:)

KD2RON and N4MU like this.