ad: w5yi

UR RST 599...SKCC xxxxx...Bye, 73, CUAGN

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N4MU, Jan 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone else annoyed by this behavior? It's happenning more and more. Perhaps these "number gatherers" should join a contest instead. I believe there is a contest on several weekends each year if memory serves.
    I just get ready for a decent QSO and they're gone. At times they don't have the courtesy to respond to my final comment...they're on to another number 'er QSO.
    Per the SKCC credo...there are even SKCC awards for ragchew QSOs. Per haps the short-timers would do well to review the organizations purpose. I am very pleased to see that there is such a popular group out there doing the CW thing (on straight keys no less) but it should not get in the way of common courtesy and interest in whomever you're QSOing with.
    I have a number (can't often remember it...should post it on the rig I guess) but it does not take priority to a good old QSO.
    There...I'm done ranting. any opposed? (oops...gotta go SK)

K4KYV and NK2U like this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bill,. Just curious, did you call CQ and answered by a member? Or did you answer a CQ SKCC ?

Not that it should make a difference, but it seems that answering a CQ SKCC almost guarantees a wham bam contact.

I myself don't generally call CQ SKCC for that reason. Collecting numbers is fine and I will gladly exchange them, but I like a qso myself. I don't let it bug me though if that's all they want, there's more fishies out there!

KG5EXW and NK2U like this.
  3. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi WE2E.
    Well, one was that I answered a CQ...but not a SKCC CQ...just a plain old vanilla CQ...so I was rather surprised when he skeedaddled...the other was my CQ (again no SKCC). Both times signals were at least "7". But yes, I agree with your comments. Perhaps I should have made myself clearer on the "let's chat...not be a number" thing. I do not always ragchew. In fact a contact over 20 minutes is too infrequesnt...perhaps 20 considering how I operate. I do however want to make clear that I am very happy that such an organization exists...kind of like the Ten-Ten club (which has gone way too "commercial" since its' inception) revisited. Thanks for your comments. Yes...I'm going to label my number to the rig...arghhh, another number. At least the other guy will have an "official" contact! de 16229 LOL

4. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't give him your SKCC number until he chats a while. Make 'em work for it :)

K8PG, K8AI, NK2U and 2 others like this.
  5. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FISTS was (maybe still is) doing a cumulative thing where you have to have at least a 5-minute QSO to try to encourage non-drive-by QSOs. Maybe people should get used to calling "CQ RC" for ragchewing. I know there's a group that meets on 80m every morning - nothing organized - they ramble on about all kinds of stuff.

I'm in the "let's keep it short and sweet" group so I can't be your friend, I guess.

By the way, UR 5NN TU.

K6JJR likes this.
  6. KT0G

KT0G Ham Member QRZ Page

I can do a 'drive-by' SKCC exchange at 14-16 wpm. When my contact starts adding info to the exchange I can QRS to a speed that my contact would not be expecting, or TU 73 SK. My skills are still developing and I look forward to having some park and stay a while QSOs.

NK2U likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've done this more than a few times! I pretend to "not know what this event is" and tell him about my rig and antenna setup, my history as a ham, and then ask him the same. I can pretty much say I've NEVER had an SKCC member object or just bail on me. I get to the SKCC number exchange AFTER a fairly normal non-drive-by QSO has taken place. It's fun! Try it :)

Dave
    W7UUU

NK2U likes this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here Dave... There's a time and a place for everything.
    I do enjoy participating in the WES as a QRP op as I did a couple of weeks ago.
    I have had my non-skcc CQ's answered by the drive by ops and I'm always disappointed that someone doesn't want to get to know me but instead waste my time just for a membership number. VY 73 lane de n8aft skcc 5607

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill,
    I've NEVER had someone do what you presented. Most of my Morse QSOs last A LOT longer than "UR RST 599...SKCC xxxxx...Bye, 73, CUAGN".

SKCC numbers can be searched by callsign.

vy 73 es gd dx,
    Bryan WA7PRC
    SKCC #2507 (I had to look it up)

10. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

True, which is why the "drive by" OPs know that you have a number in the first place. However, the QSO doesn't "count" unless some basic info, including the number, is actually exchanged. Also, the QSO only counts if both OPs are using a straight key, sideswiper (cootie key) or, semi-automatic bug. Electronic keyers don't count.

Full disclosure: I'm an active SKCC member and number collector. I don't think I've been guilty of a drive-by QSO except during our frequent (twice per month) semi-contest events. Even then, I'm more than willing to turn the event QSO into an RC if the other OP wants to. I love to RC about rigs, etc. with anyone who will do likewise.

Just my opinion, but I suspect that the typical SKCC drive-by offenders are a small handful (< 100 out of 16,000+ members) of very active members who participate in the monthly "brag". That is, who can make the highest number of SKCC QSOs in a given month. Sort of like the SKCC version of Honor Roll. If you experience a drive-by and feel like doing a bit of research, go here ( http://www.skccgroup.com/operating_activities/monthly_brag/ )and see if I'm right, that the offender is a brag participant.

73 de Steve KE4OH (SKCC 13651S)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017