Upsetting a Repeater God

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2WJP, Jul 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree Dan. Learning to walk away is a skill worth having.

W2AI and K0UO like this.
  2. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am jumping in without reading this whole discussion. The title says it all!
    Hopefully any repeater God's will recognize and get a clue.
    I rarely use repeaters but do have a Uhf HT that I finally charged up and listened to the other day....
    There are some pretty killer super multi linked repeaters here on the west coast . Both DMR and conventional or both. In So cal we have some pretty decent high coverage sites too. Santiago Peak being a favorite with several great machines that include links with a couple of various well known repeater network "systems" across the states and some instances the entire world. I believe they might even be membership only systems that are considered "private".
    They seem to have or cater to a large migrating demographic of newbie techs and so forth, they have introductory on air nets , technical nets and various other on air happenings... I am not sure which group it is that I have listened in on, but it does seem that both have a fair share of repeater God's.
    There is one though that sticks out in my mind more so than others. I don't know who he is or what he is or whatever. Maybe he is the owner, club president or grand poopah of control operators.... All I can say is that I have only been on the air listening to VHF/UHF sporadically over the last three years maybe a total of a dozen times and he has always been on this system full time. I hear him conduct NETS and I have heard him when no NETS have been conducted. He is the most prolific repeater God/cop/authority I have ever imagined.
    Everytime I have been on the air I have heard him comment both breaking in and after a QSO to remind, reprimand and notify users of his repeaters policy or of his interpretation of FCC rules. First time a numbers of years ago I used the system and he called me out for ID-ing more than the necessary ten minutes. Another time I mistakenly quick keyed twice before realizing that I was on a linked system. OK I appreciate advice thank you. I have also been a ham for likely over forty some odd years too! Nobody really appreciates being talked down to.... I don't care about that too much for myself. But everytime I have turned on that radio in the last three years I have had it scan and stop on his system and have heard him at all hours of the day. He comes off with this Uber DICk like authoritarian attitude telling everyone what the proper ettiquitte is all about. The last time I heard him he was all over some guys ass that let his young school age daughter talk to a family ham radio operator friend/relative. The offending operator said to the party he was in QSO with that he was going to put his daughter on radio to say hello. The youngster was handed the microphone and was allowed to PTT and said hello to uncle or whatever and let him know she got picked up from school and was going for ice cream or whatever the jest of the traffic. They had maybe one or two transmissions and dad came back on and finally signed with his counterpart. MR Control operator comes on and proceeds to tell dad that he did that all wrong and illegally. That dad must announce third party traffic and hold the microphone for the daughter as control operator. The dad just sat their an squirmed and took a lashing. I would have jumped in had I been a dues paying member.. first no need to reprimand on the air. Second, I think he got carried away with the technicality of third party rules. I BELIEVE ANYONE WITH A GRAM OR TWO OF SENSE WOULD UNDERSTAND WHEN HE SAID HE WAS PUTTING HIS DAUGHTER ON THE AIR TO TALK THAT IT WAS INDEED THIRD PARTY TRAFFIC. WE KNEW HE WAS CONTROLLING THE RADIO AND HANDING OFF THE MIC WHILE DRIVING AND THAT THE CHILD WAS SPEAKING TO HER UNCLE WHO WAS INDEED A HAM AND BOTH STATIONS HAD IDENTIFIED AND IT WAS KNOWN WHO WAS OPERATING. DUH!
    THE DAD WAS PRESENT AND SUPERVISED WHILE HAVING ULTIMATE CONTROL OP OF THE MOBILE RIG WHILE DRIVING. WHEN THE DAUGHTER HANDED OVER THE CONVERSATION BACK TO DAD IT WAS OBVIOUS THAT THIRD PARTY TRAFFIC WAS CONCLUDED. I THINK THAT ALL OBLIGATION WAS MET WHEN HE SAID HE WAS PLACING HIS DAUGHTER ON THE AIR.
    I don't know it just rubbed me the wrong way that this guy is so nitpicking and always present with such formal bull. It is a casual Convo on a repeater for gods sake and not some international 3rd party traffic in need of reciprocal agreement! Regardless, of ownership or control op, membership or whatever, this authoritarian attitude is just plain rude. He thinks himself as a guide and Elmer but he represents as a small dicked, little no life, twit of a man and is really off-putting to those who hear him outside of ham radio community.
    TODAY ON FM REPEATERS ITS ONE EXTREME OR THE OTHER, YOU HAVE THE NO LIFE AUTHORITARIAN DWEEBS OR THE FOUL MOUTH MENTALLY CHALLENGED IDIOTS
    Either way it seems ham radio represents poorly to the uninitiated and the ranks of newcomers entering through entry level FM repeater priviledge.
    Today's Radio scanning public at large have less variety to listen to and often scanning the ham bands to receive their entertainment. What they hear is often comedy! Ham radio appears as if a joke! Stereotypical of the nerd in highschool that was picked on too much and now is a on air cop wannabe. No wonder so many poo poo disaster and public service comms as a likely Walter Mitty wannabe joke.....

KX4O and WZ7U like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whoa! tl;dr

4. K5ABB

K5ABB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hahaha!, excellent rant, two thumbs up!

Ride 'em Cowboy!

K6LPM likes this.
  5. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wt*?
    Free to secure?
    Please educate me on this one?

7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nets?

Not that interested, however during the recent and still ongoing pandemic, local club nets have been very helpful in keeping connected with the membership. The now ubiquitous "Zoom" meetings have also been very helpful.

Back in the day, I used to hang out on some of our area wide coverage repeaters. I too, heard some of the stupid behavior discussed in this thread. That's why I decided to only listen to or participate with ham on our local club repeater. When I listen to the local machine, I know almost everyone on the machine, and if anyone is or becomes a PITA, we can have a discussion in person. This seems to keep the potential problems in check. We all know each other and we're all acquainted and maybe even friends...

Unlike most of the denizens for the wide area coverage machines...

KX4O likes this.
  8. KD2WJP

KD2WJP Ham Member QRZ Page

During a traffic net, some of the people that are checking-in are using a mobile. Free to secure means the check -in was logged incase they lose contact or they can reconnect with base station. That's what I was told it means a few other things I can't remember.

9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm waiting for a mobile check-in to say, "I don't have any traffic, but I do have a Smokey report!"

Such would be a barrel of laughs.

And for you old fuddie-duddie hams out there who take their hamming seriously ... just lighten up!

WS4JM and K7JEM like this.
  10. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" Wt*? Free to secure? Please educate me on this one? "

Only time I have ever heard that is from a local " Club God " in Lincoln, Nebraska that runs a net on 146.76 there. He somehow has the impression that if
    you do not give your call after your transmission giving an update to the net when called on, you have not ' secured your Station ' whatever the hell that means.
    He calls you back and asks you to ' secure your station ' - LOL - the first time I heard that I was also ' WTF ? '.....

In my 50 years on the air, I have never heard that before or since and of course never seen that term in the FCC regulations or recall it in any license test.

Am I missing something? Is that from some other communication service that people have dragged over ?