Upsetting a Repeater God

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2WJP, Jul 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree. I bumped into owner of local repeater at a hamfest a couple of years ago. Since a group of us were using the machine for our drive-time chats, I offered a donation for its maintenance.

He said thanks, but no thanks. He enjoyed hearing the machine being used, and it let him know that it was still working.

N0TZU, KP4SX and KA9JLM like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a repeater as a Public Service.

If a owner can not afford to maintain the cost on their own, Then they should not put it up.

There should never be such a thing as a "Closed" Repeater.

N1VAU and KP4SX like this.
  3. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For those who asked for a picture of the Repeater Goddess, here's a previously posted picture.

W2AI likes this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm sure I'll come up with more pictures of Repeater Goddesses. The roaring twenties Flapper ladies are coming into mind.:rolleyes:

5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm ok with a closed repeater, but if you're going to operate one then you should make sure the listing in RepeaterBook says so and the PL tones are unpublished. Otherwise don't get cranky when people use them.

Chris

KA0USE and N0TZU like this.
  6. KA9JLM

Fair enough.

What good is a repeater if you can not get into it ?

It should not be listed if it is Top Secret...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  7. KI4POT

Not much, but if a person or a club want to foot the bill for a repeater and not let random people use it, that's their business I suppose. My main beef are the supposedly "open" ones that have jackwads like the OP and others have described.

Chris

8. KA9JLM

In my experience that is not a club worth joining.

A club should welcome everyone, Not just members of their club.

Whatever, It is what it is.

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I belong to two "repeater clubs". One, mostly on 2M is open, but you are encouraged to join if you regularly use it. The other, on 440, is "closed", and you really need to know a current member for an introduction and to be able to join. Both clubs fill a desired purpose, and the two work together on many projects, and have equipment at many shared sites. I provide tower, power, and building space for these two clubs at seven different communications sites, free to both groups.

Like most endeavors in life, we sometimes like to associate with like minded individuals, people that share similar values and experiences, etc.

KA9JLM likes this.
  10. KI4POT

I'm not arguing in favor of that, just saying I can see why they might restrict access. Repeaters represent an investment of time and money not everyone is willing to put forward for the unwashed masses. This isn't limited to amateur radio or repeaters.

My point was that if a group, be it a club or other such organization, wish to treat their repeater as a restricted access resource, then they should do so fully and not rely on "repeater trolls" to chase off those who don't realize it's not open to the public.

Chris