Upsetting a Repeater God

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2WJP, Jul 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I want to see pictures of repeater Goddesses!!!!!!!!!!!;)

2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I love it when some self-important blob tries to claim "radio is a man's hobby". Whatever beyotch. :D

Chris

W3SY and KD2WJP like this.
  3. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Many years ago it was explained to me that you never just "use" a repeater unless you are a member of the club who maintains or operates said repeater, the exception being a life-or-death emergency.

I still abide by that old admonishment. I monitor & scan a good dozen or so repeaters in my area along with all of the simplex frequencies, but I only use the two repeaters maintained by the club of which I am a member.

I'm sure many would disagree with this policy, and that's OK. It works for me, and keeps me out of trouble. ;)

4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

You've seen so called "repeater gods", do you *really* want to see what passes for a "repeater goddess"? :eek:

Chris

K5BDH, KA0USE, N1VAU and 1 other person like this.
  5. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You should be more gender-neutral and inclusive. It's repeater persons. Or maybe repeater people. :D

N1VAU and KI4POT like this.
  6. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Most clubs around here have club sponsored nets. They announce at the beginning of each net that they encourage all licensed hams to check into their nets, regardless of club affiliation. In fact, they want as many hams to check in as possible. The higher those numbers the happier they are. I check into quite a few nets each week and they seem appreciative, especially if they are located some distance away. One night a net control (also a club officer) thanked me and told me that people some distance away were useful to them as it verified that their equipment was in top condition. They frequently thank visitors for stopping by, even if they are regulars. Now as far as ragchewing, etc. on a repeater I agree with you on that. If one makes regular use of a repeater outside of club sponsored nets then they should make a donation. I know of an individual in the past (not here) that would sit and monopolize a repeater for hours daily and did not even support it. That led in this case to it changing to "CLOSED" status.

N5AF and N1VAU like this.
  7. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We don't worry about non-club members using repeaters around here. New Hampshire has a bunch of seasonal visitors.

My suggestion is join a club somewhere and use the repeaters everywhere.

I suppose if you were a repeater rat on one repeater regularly you probably should be a member of the club that sponsors it.

KA0USE likes this.
  8. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

KP4SX likes this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

These days I think most repeater owners would be thrilled if their repeaters had more use.

KT4PH, N1VAU, KI4POT and 2 others like this.
  10. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

all radio women are babes.

as for the dudes....spare me.

all astronomy women are babes.

hold on, i'm painting myself into a corner, here.
    one more try....

all women are babes.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    KT4PH and N1VAU like this.