ad: Mircules-1

Upsetting a Repeater God

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2WJP, Jul 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

True. Though I was thinking more about the new ham who has a typical dual band mobile or HT and are just dipping their toe in the water.

Those two types are part of the reason I don't bother with repeaters. I'm just not interested in ragchewing. I am, however, interested in how far I can go with my HT and an improved antenna.

There's lots of non-repeater VHF activity around here. It's mostly FM, but there is some SSB as well. I routinely hear transmissions on FM simplex, with many folks doing so from the nearby mountains as they see how far they can reach with various radio and antenna combos. I routinely operate from those same mountains as a SOTA activator. I think we should be encouraging VHF Simplex and steering new hams *away* from repeaters, get some simplex experience, then upgrade if their interests take them in that direction. I have lots of fun on VHF, but it's virtually all back-country portable activity. I would have given up ages ago if I only talked to hams via repeaters.

Perfect opportunity for hilltopping. I work a lot of new hams using VHF FM for hilltopping in the Blue Ridge Mtns to the west of here (not to mention my own VHF adventures in support of my SOTA obsession).

Chris

KD2WJP and N1VAU like this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Key word is "mountains". Enjoy it!

KY4GD and N1VAU like this.
  3. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K8XG likes this.
  4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Which reminds me, there is actually one other fun activity that can be easily done with a handheld, and that is VHF contesting. Find one or more high locations, go there with a handheld, and call "CQ contest." The next one is next weekend!

https://www.cqww-vhf.com/

Here are some of my lessons learned from using an HT in a VHF contest:

http://onetuberadio.com/2014/01/19/operating-the-vhf-contest-with-the-baofeng/

WZ7U and US7IGN like this.
  5. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

200w.gif Excellent!

NL7W likes this.
  6. KI4POT

True, but "mountain" can be subjective. People in the Rockies sneer at our "mountains". :)

Chris

KY4GD, VE6CLG, N0TZU and 2 others like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Eh, a lot is relative. The Andes are higher in elevation than the Rockies, and the Himalayas tower over all. But the relative height above surrounding terrain is a huge factor.

N3RYB and NL7W like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Then there's mine, about 100 miles or so north of my home.

Wicked...

Wick-spread.gif

VK2WP and N0TZU like this.
  9. KI4POT

Yeah, nothing like that here. :D

Chris

10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

2 meter FM repeater Goddess .........

[​IMG]

KT4PH, M0IND, VK2WP and 3 others like this.