Upsetting a Repeater God

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2WJP, Jul 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2WJP

KD2WJP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got a new radio and antenna and I wanted to get a signal check. I made the mistake of calling for CQ on a local repeater and some guy lost his mind started screaming"Doooooont Sayyyyyy CCCCCCCCCCC Q" SMH. My daughter and wife are studying for their technician license. Im so happy they didn't hear this guy screaming at me they would have said forget ham radio. I guess this is what you call a PTT warrior.

UT7UX, WM5S, WA7VBA and 18 others like this.
  2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

A long long time ago when i still cared about talking to people, I used to get on echolink and call CQ on USA repeaters just to hear the stoopids loose their bloody minds over it, none would ever talk to me and then afterwards the local yocals and the neighboring hill billies would have a conversation like: was that an Australian on the repeater, what are they doing here Ceatus? I donts knows Billy Bob, but no sir i don't like it, dont like it at all. I do not get what the issue is, its done pretty much everywhere else in the world but MERICA.

WW0W, W5ODP, N3FZ and 15 others like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that you got your first 'off the website' jackass, that's one box you can check off your ham radio list. ;)

Welcome to the obsession we affectionately call ham radio.

K6LPM, KM4FVI, WM5S and 10 others like this.
  4. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"WAJ"

KB0QIP, K3RW, WE4E and 3 others like this.
  5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, now you know. Go, and sin no more.

N3HQN, KB0QIP, AG4RT and 4 others like this.
  6. KD2WJP

KD2WJP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a repeater in my area that goes dark when I come on. The funny thing is before this particular group of people gets on I can talk to people from all over. Once they show up lights are on but nobody is home lol. People will be people.

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, that was a bit much.

I’d suggest:
    (1) try a different repeater,
    (2) listen for a bit to see what protocols or procedures are used on that repeater
    (3) don’t call CQ. Just say something like ‘KD2WJP listening (repeater frequency)’. At least, that’s what we do around here.
    (4) ignore the lids like this character.

W8ARC, KJ4RT, N5MDF and 10 others like this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Betcha this same group bemoans users who don’t join the club or otherwise help financially support the machine, as they chase away the new hams who are equipped to do just that... if welcomed.

I take it back. They’re not lids. That comparison would be an insult to lids.

N3UPM, KB0QIP, WD0BCT and 10 others like this.
  9. KD8OSD

KD8OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I lost interest right after you said "repeater".

WD8T, KC6HAI, KI5AAI and 11 others like this.
  10. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur radio is full of rules and etiquette that are rarely written down, and largely unforgotten since World War II. The "no cq on a repeater" was a thing when repeaters were a thing. I cover both bases, I say "KA8NCR monitoring, and CQ if that is your thing".

Be proud, you were this guy's only contact for the day because he likely is so awful to hang around that his friends have long abandoned him. Or died.

DM2TT, N3UPM, AA7TK and 15 others like this.