Uploaded image in the wrong orientation

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by K2FI, Feb 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KW4EK

KW4EK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can find my posts in the following thread as a part one and a second continuation following it. Some of the text is obviously specific to the forum I maintain and slightly redundant, but much if it applies to the Web as a whole. Some websites have custom coding to deal with the rotation problem by using the EXIF headers, which requires custom handlers at the time of upload, but most sites handle photos primarily as attachments rather than strictly as photos-only, so most attachment upload handlers are not designed to deal with the issue since they handle everything from photos to documents, PDFs, CAD files, etc, and are thus intended as a general purpose handler. That said, sometimes the camera gets the EXIF info wrong (take a photo with the camera looking directly down or up and they sometimes confuse orientation), in which case even EXIF-aware sites will get orientation wrong sometimes.

The discussion: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58446&p=538398&viewfull=1#post538398

The above is a non-profit woodworking oriented forum that I admin. Obviously it does not compete with QRZ but if any QRZ moderators have a concern please feel free to contact me privately and edit this post and I will forward the URL to anyone interested privately.

If you are ever curious as to what sort of info and parameters your specific camera or device appends to the optional EXIF extension headers you can download the free image viewer called IrfanView for Windows PCs, which has a feature that will allow you to view all of the EXIF header content in your photos. Some of the better photo editors, such as Adobe PhotoShop, include a built-in EXIF viewer and editor as well, but IrfanView is free and includes features such as lossless JPEG rotation algorithms and is a nice utility for viewing photo collections and can be redistributed on CD/DVD if you need a lightweight viewer application for friends and family with Windows PCs that may not have a good viewer already installed as it can run direct from the CD/DVD without needing to install it.

K2FI likes this.
  2. K2FI

K2FI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great, thank you!

3. TA1AL

TA1AL Ham Member QRZ Page

hi.l uploaded 5 pictures on my page.But l newer ben seen them on my page..please help.. 73 TA1AL

4. KW4EK

KW4EK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your issue is presumably something different and unrelated to image orientation. You will stand a much better chance of getting helpful replies if you start a new thread in the Community Help forum and give it a properly descriptive subject title. If you navigate to that forum from the Forums tab on the main menu bar at the top of the page, you will find a button on the far right-hand side just a bit below the top of the page (actually just below the main menu bar) that you can click to post/start a new thread of your own where you stand a much better chance of receiving help from those best in a position to render assistance on your specific issue.

Right now you are actually hijacking an existing thread only distantly related to your issue, and that both fractures the existing discussion on the original issue and denies your post/issue a wider audience as you have limited how many members are likely to take notice of your post since they are following an unrelated discussion (plus this thread has largely reached its conclusion, further limiting activity and diminishing your possible audience even more than if this were a new and active thread).

Good luck!

5. K1SR

K1SR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Lisa
    Would you please do the same my photos also?
    Thanks K1SR Rob

6. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Rob,
    I am no longer a Moderator here on QRZ so I am unable to look at and fix your picture directory for you.

The best I can do for you is to copy your picture from your bio, rotate it and post it back here. You will need to copy it to your desktop and upload the picture again to your QRZ picture directory.

I only se the one that was sideways in your Bio.
    K1SR_tower_rotated.jpg

7. AF5LA

AF5LA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yesterday I looked at my QRZ page for the first time in maybe 6 months. I was shocked to see how many pictures were upside down or rotateed 90 degrees, some were squshed and distorted!!! After reading this thread I checked with different browsers and sure enough they were different on different browsers. I finally fixed this by converting all the pictures to .BMP files and uploading them to the server. The upload process converts the .BMP's to .JPG's but the rotation info from the original files are gone.