Uploaded image in the wrong orientation

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by K2FI, Feb 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2FI

K2FI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm trying to upload an image I took along the hiking trail today. Because I wanted to get my rig and antenna in it, I held the phone vertical rather than horizontal. When I look at the image on my phone, it's correct. When I look at the image on my computer, it's correct. When I look at the uploaded image on QRZ, it's rotated. I understand that I can't rotate an image on QRZ, but I'd like the orientation preserved on upload. Is there some trick I'm missing?

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Phones tend to display according to how you rotate them and that's not necessarily tied to the file saved. To take the pic in the proper orientation desired hold the phone accordingly.
    Or use a photo editing program before uploading.

3. K2FI

No, the photo is in the correct orientation. That's how I held the phone to take the picture, that's how it displays on the phone, that's how it displays on my computer, and that's how it displays when I uploaded it to Facebook.

It's only rotated when I load it to QRZ.

4. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello David,
    Go ahead and upload the picture to the server and I will fix it for you.

5. K2FI

Oh, thank you! I've loaded it to my page. Do you need a direct link? (It'll be obvious which one it is.)

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

IrfanView works good to manipulate pictures.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  7. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello David,
    Your picture has been fixed and added to your bio.
    Have a great day,

KA9JLM and K2FI like this.
  8. K2FI

Thank you!

N6QIC likes this.
  9. KW4EK

KW4EK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, it is NOT in the correct orientation, it only appears that way as you phone camera does not actually save it as a rotated image as it has a home "up" position that all photos are stored relative to wth a notation written to an optional EXIF header extension that tells EXIF-aware photo viewers to rotate the image by XX degrees themselves whenever you view it on such (whether that be your camera/phone or an EXIF aware application).

The Web, however, is not typically EXIF aware, and web browsers specifically do not typically support EXIF extensions, as such they actually display the photo precisely as it is really and truly saved to disk, whether that be right-side up or upside-down.

That is the short answer, if you want a more long winded explanation I will post a link to a woodworking forum post where I explained this question recently in depth because, well, the question gets old after awhile and it is a curse camera vendors made a conscious decision to inflict on the web and that we admins (I admin another online forum) have to deal with incessantly!

10. K2FI

I'd be interested in reading through it if you don't mind linking to it.

So when I save the image to my computer, Windows is checking that orientation. Hrm. As are Facebook and Flickr. (Interestingly, not Outlook when I tried to email it to myself at work)