Upgrading to Extra?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by N7TOX, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations, station!

2. KJ6CEA

KJ6CEA Guest

As far as I was concerned the CW I'm learning is English:eek:

3. WY7AC

WY7AC Ham Member QRZ Page

I intend to stay Advanced. It tells others that I was CW Tested & Certified :p.

4. AE7HF

AE7HF Ham Member QRZ Page

That was a rather rude comment. Sounds like someone is bitter. that cw tested and certified comment is utter %%$&. No microphone on hf? why didn't you test out at 20wpm extra? not good enough to pass at that time? I'm a 13wpm extra, my brother is advanced also. There is no difference between an exta with no code to an exta with code. If one chooses to learn it and use it, thats great. They should not be put down because they took their extra and no "certified code test" was offered. by the way, how many times did it take you to pass 13wpm?

Congrats to the station who took his time to learn and upgrade to extra. They should not be littled because you want to stay Advanced. my brother beat me to advanced before it was dropped. I never hold it against him because I'm extra now.
    If you don't have anything nice to say,then its best to not say anything at all.

5. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

I upgraded to Extra so I could use every band edge to edge and I don't have to prove anything to anybody about my qualifications. I didn't become an amateur radio operator to please anyone else but myself. If anyone doubts my qualifications to operate within the amateur bands, that's their problem, not mine. If someone really must know whether or not I "know code", it is easy enough to look up my call on vanityhq.com and see that I became an Extra in 1995... when there was still an Advanced Class and the 13 and 20 wpm code tests.

6. AE7HF

Exactly. They can't take the fact you were an Advanced away. vanityhq.com keeps all the records. Who would really care or know anyway. A great deal of the new amateurs getting involved don't even know the history of novice, advanced, extra, code, etc. You should do it for your own personal satisfaction. You think a person who knows nothing about hamradio cares if you are advanced, or extra with or without code. I better shut up.. Bottom line is, no one should ever be put down for upgrading. If it is that big of deal about the code, petition the fcc to put it back. I'm a VE, I have no problem helping administer code tests. I thought it was actually fun when I took mine. Didn't even feel like a test.

7. WY7AC

WY7AC Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a personal choice on my part and not intended to be rude or taken as such. Damn, you guys must have a guilty conscience or something. Show some maturity for gosh sake, or at least be man enough to ask for clarification before blasting someone.
    This is a perfect example of why I love CW, few ops will make the effort at personal assaults that occur on sideband or via keyboard.
    I too offer my congrats to the new extras!
    As for me not passing the 20wpm, documented service related hearing loss (Your welcome). Theory? No problem, passed it before & make some of my own gear. Thank you very much.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  8. AE7HF

ok, sorry :)

9. WX4XW

WX4XW Ham Member QRZ Page

In my personal opinion I really like your current callsign. You should keep it. N7TOX is kewl.

10. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

It's always a good idea to sound out a vanity call in code before putting it on the list. My call is fairly rhythmic on CW but requires a bit of concentration on the 2 and the T. Avoid a potentially confusing call (i.e. a call made up of lots of E's and T's.)

Sounding out potential calls is a good idea, even if you don't operate CW now. I'll come in handy if you choose to operate CW later. An rhythmic and clear call also helps with pileups.

Get the 2x1 if you can. It'll shorten the CQ's and also help with DX and contesting.

73, Jordan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.