ad: ProAudio-1

Upgrading to Extra?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by N7TOX, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7TOX

N7TOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm planning to go take my Extra Class test this month, one month after getting my General license. I know that Extra Class gets access to shorter callsigns, but I can't find any information on what is involved it getting assigned a callsign from that pool. Is it automatic with the upgrade, or do I need to request it?

Secondly: If it does happen automatically, about how long does it take to happen from taking the test? The reason I'm asking is, I'm going to be licensing my new car around then, and if I get a new callsign, I want to use that for my plate instead of my current one. :)

2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all of the "shorter" callsigns (1x2 and 2x1) have all been used up and now you will get a 2x2 callsign (if you check the box on the form that says you want you callsign to be changed). If you want a 1x2 or 2x1 callsign, you will have to apply for a vanity callsign, but you can not do this until after you get your Extra license.

You can go to sites such as http://www.vanityhq.com/ and click on the tab on the left that says Call Availability.

Clear as mud, eh?

Good luck!

3. N7TOX

2x2 is still shorter than my current callsign. ;)

But... if it won't happen automatically (unless I request it) I'll probably leave it be. *goes to make sure a 2x3 will fit on the Utah Ham plates*

4. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N7TOX

Yeah, I'd been there before, I just couldn't remember if it was 5 or 6 characters. The sample image shows 5, but the text says 6, and I trust it more. :)

6. N7TOX

Anyway... Thanks for the input! Now I just have to sort out a way to get a radio. Hitting up several old friends who are or were into the amaeur scene to see if they have any gear they'd be willing to part with.

7. KJ6CEA

KJ6CEA Guest

Well your extra privileges work as soon as you pass. Remember to say AE or send it so people know why its not showing up as extra. To get upgrade call you will have to wait till it shows up in the FCC ULS system.

8. N7TOX

Wooo. Up to 93% minimum in all Extra class categories on HamTestOnline. Starting to get a feel for some of the formulas, and learning some of the circuit designs. 10 days left to just do maintencance level studying, and then I can go get certified. :)

9. KD7EIR

KD7EIR Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck on the test!

10. KI0MX

KI0MX Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh what a feeling! I'm not upgrading. Just would like to congratulate those who do wish to upgrade. I passed my Advanced one month after failing at one site. At that site I also passed the 13 WPM. I retested for Advanced in April of '98. I took the extra written in June of that year. And passed. Also failed the 20WPM test. Not a problem, as the upgrade would have given me only 25kHz of "space" on a few bands. With that phone spread now on 75, things are different. Still not a problem. Good luck. And keep looking for gear, it's out there...I saw an FT100D for under $400. There are other rigs for less..and there are some for the cost of a new car! :p So again good luck! Peace. Ed KI0MX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.