ad: Momobeam-1

Upgrading a Reclaimed/Recycled Win 7 Desktop to Win 10 at No Cost

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W6EM, May 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Or simply not register it at all. It still works, it still updates.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

YMMV, but to use the upgrade (or other Win OS) if I did NOT register with a MS account (i.e., all sign-in accounts ) an install of Win (7, 8.1, 10) required a valid license key. (I STILL have 2 legitimate un-used copies of Win 7 Pro, but I don't (currently) have computers capable of using them, or upgrading!)
    If I were to build a NEW computer today, and installed the Win 7 (64 bit) Ultimate, thinking I would upgrade it to Win 10 (without additional $) I would have to either provide the license key from Win 7, OR sign in with a Microsoft Account, which would provide a digital license (but I think the license key from Win 7 would STILL be needed initially.) It does get a bit complicated.

3. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CNET article is from April 28, 2021.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  4. NG1H

Similar information from Ziff Davis article from March 3, 2021.

5. WA9SVD

I tend to believe the official Microsoft web site, and not necessarily "Cnet" or ZDnet." The post #21 cites an article dated 2015. Why would ZDnet or Cnet be somehow citing a policy MS continues, but their articles still seem to indicate the offer expired in 2016? Can either of you cite the CURREBT ZD or Cnet articles claiming the "upgrade" is no longer available?

6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that the software engineers decide that. How do you come to this decision that they are not needed?
    They are about as frequent as the WIN7 were & always come with Malicious software removal tools that are updated.
    I bet Colonial Pipeline's higher ups thought that updates were not needed & may have had a change of heart after paying up $5M.

Ed

Edit: Oh, the updates do not seem to slow any of my computers down while downloading or installing. I do have a few very fast computers & a couple ancient ones.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  7. WA9SVD

If they were relying on Wimdoze, those "higher-ups" should be skinned alive, drawn & quartered, keel-hauled, boiled in oil, and then have something nasty be done to them.

8. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Why? Is it more hackable than an old Unix machine, like in some infrastructures? I doubt it.
    People can dis Windows 10 all they want, but it is fairly secure & just plain works.
    I was a die hard WIN7 person, till my Wife got WIN 10. I plugged everything into her laptop & it all just worked. That is not happening with a WIN 7 machine.

Ed

9. WA9SVD

Glad everything just automatically and instantly works for you. Congrats.

10. NG1H

Microsoft made pretty darn clear at that time that the free upgrade was ending years ago. The did keep one loophole open in that if you claimed a need because of a disability you could get the free upgrade. But even that loophole ended years ago. None of these are mentioned anymore because the legitimate free upgrade programs have been dead for years.

April 28, 2021. "A free upgrade offer from Microsoft that technically ended in 2016 still works for many people." https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-windows-10-for-free-now-that-windows-7-is-dead/

March 3, 2021 "Microsoft's free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ended more than four years ago" there was a certain version that had an extension but "Alas, I say "was," because the extension (which was itself extended) officially ended on Jan. 16, 2018." https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I didn't want to get into all the aspects of this but that some of the install media still works as an upgrade is pretty well known in the IT community. It isn't something new. But it was also well known that it isn't giving you a legitimate key. It was treated as a nudge, nudge, wink, wink sort of behavior that was known about but few people talked openly about.

The assumption is that as long as the business community is not using it to avoid the volume licensing fees or to avoid the OEM fees for new computers then MS isn't going to push the issue for now and appears to not have any desire to go after individuals. So, to repeat what I said earlier, as an individual at this time there does not appear to be a high risk to use this method of piracy. For businesses though it would not be unexpected for a crackdown to appear if the abuse starts getting higher.