Upgraded to Extra

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by AF7XI, Feb 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello All,

I'm brand new to ham radio, having passed my Tech and General earlier this month. While waiting (for what seemed like forever) for the FCC to issue my call, I began studying for my Extra. I'm pleased to report that I passed yesterday. So now I'm filled with all sorts of theoretical knowledge and looking forward to applying it practically.

First effort is an external antenna (likely a Diamond X-50) for my house so I can get some extra "reach" for my FT-60R. I purchased a mobile mount for my truck but want to be able to more effectively hit my local distant repeaters from inside my house. Interestingly, my Baofeng UV82HPs seem to have a bit more pop with the installed Nagoya whip than my FT-60R does with it's installed Diamond SRH77CA. It could just be the extra couple W of TX power.

I am prioritizing my antenna ahead of a base rig just so I can get my feet on the ground. Plus, I've had decent success with my HTs and want to take the time to research if I want a dual band base or something I can use for HF and beyond. I've much to learn and in the meantime I am studying up on proper ham etiquette and Q-codes so I don't clog the airwaves!

N6QIC, K7TRF, KA9JLM and 1 other person like this.
  2. N3UIQ

N3UIQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on your Extra, I just passed my test Saturday, welcome to adventure!
    Bob
    N3UIQ

AF7XI and N6QIC like this.
  3. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Bob, and congratulations to you as well!

I've made a fair number of contacts in the past 3 days, using our local healthy repeater network. I'm already itching to venture beyond 2m/440, which means I've got to chunk down on the appropriate rig!

N6QIC likes this.
  4. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on earning your Extra ticket. I hope to cross paths with you on the air one of these days!

Take care and have a great time!

AF7XI likes this.
  5. KG7PJD

KG7PJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I Just became a extra class about a month ago I was relicensed in 2014 after a 40 year hiatus also I might add I am 80 yr old

AF7XI, KG7E, W9AFB and 2 others like this.
  6. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Douglas,
    Congratulations on your new license and your upgrade. Don't worry about "Q" Codes only use them on CW.

When you talk Just talk like you normally would in a conversation. The only difference is you give your call sign. Don't use "Q" codes or any sorta radio slang. You will have much more success this way and you will not develop bad habits. In a critical situation you will be much better at copying and passing information correctly on the first transmission.

Any hand held will always work better with an outside antenna. You can buy a good mag mount antenna and use it in the car or in the house. Larson makes a good NMO Mount 1/4 wave, or 5/8 wave antenna. In the house put it on a cookie sheet or refrigerator for a ground plane. Outside on an air conditioner is also good.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    AF7XI likes this.
  7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Using Q codes on fone, which is apparently deplorable to some, is I think great practise. If you get used to them that way, they won't stun you when you hear them in CW.

Pofungs and Wouxuns reportedly have so much gain and so little filtering that they don't work well with external antennas. Most others will.

N6QIC likes this.
  8. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Matthew,
    Fine Business QSL OM I will Se you when I get to the QTH I am going QRT now. QSL, 73 OM N6QIC

I say this because many years ago the first few weeks that I was on the air I was corrected so it now sound like this instead.
    (Ok I understand Matthew, I will se you when I get home, I am going to stop talking now. Talk to you later have a good day, N6QIC)

And yes maybe I went overboard the other way, but I think it is much better just talking normal. I even try not to say 73, I just say have a great day. I have never used those radios only Kenwood and Yaesu, but in general an HT will always work better with a outside antenna rather than a rubber flex was what I was trying to express.

Thanks for the post Matthew,

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    AF7XI and KC9UDX like this.
  9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

FB. :)

N6QIC likes this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Congrats!!

Dave
    W7UUU

AF7XI and N6QIC like this.