ad: elecraft

Upgraded to Extra at Dayton

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K8OCB, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8OCB

K8OCB Ham Member QRZ Page

I did it! - upgraded to Extra at the Hamvention. Got all three tickets at Dayton, can't wait for next year when I can finally enjoy the whole show and won't have to spend an entire day in testing. The lines were LOONG, so I'm really surprised not to see many others here who got a ticket at Dayton this year.

Now I'm just waiting for my class upgrade to appear in the ULS - it's been a week and nothing yet. Should I give it another week?

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to Amateur Radio and welcome to the growing number of us who went from Zero to Extra in less than a day.

3. N0FJ

N0FJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats KD8OCB!! A very impressive feat by both of you! I'm still working on my Extra, hope to join the ranks soon.

73 ~Phil

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

OCB,

Congratulations!! I see you listed as Extra in the ULS listing, but QRZ still lists you as General. I guess it may take a day or two before QRZ updates their information.

I know how hard it is to go from General to Extra in one sitting. I did that myself but I had a few extra tests to get me there. I took the Advanced written, Extra written, and 20 WPM code tests in one sitting. Since they were all taken at the same session, it only cost me $8.45. What a deal.

I haven't looked at the tests recently, but I would guess that the Advanced and Extra tests are now sort of scrunched into one test. That might broaden the required knowledge base making it a little more difficult. I didn't have any lines to deal with, so my ordeal only took about 2 hours.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did Gordo blow the horn for you? :)

I understand ULS has been a bit slow this week. Give er' a few more days

Eric

6. N9YB

N9YB QRZ Administrator QRZ Page

Congrats!

Now get on the air!

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You will get it.
    I had an unfair advantage, I worked as an electronics tech for twenty one years.

8. K8OCB

K8OCB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks all,
    I'm excited to finally get to use MY call sign for FD this year. Also - I didn't go from 0-Extra in a day, no WAY could I have done that, I got my tech two years ago at Dayton, my general last year at Dayton - and my Extra this year.

Only bummer is that every year I got a ticket the OM also got me a new radio, this year's prize was an Icom 880H for my car, so I don't have to keep hooking and unhooking my handheld from my car- now that I don't have any more tests to pass - I'm out of luck scoring new gear. Perhaps this year I should focus on learning CW to score a Begali key?? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.