Upgrade Troubles to Fldigi ver 4.1.20

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by NZ2V, Sep 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. NZ2V

NZ2V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am attempting to upgrade to Fldigi ver 4.1.20. When I try to open it after download I get the following message "Fldigi ver 4.1.20 cannot be opened because of a problem". I am using a 2010 Mac Book running High Sierra 10.13.1. Have tried reloading several times with no luck. I have been running 4.1.16 with zero trouble. I have upgraded Fldigi steadily over the last 4 years or no with no trouble. Can anyone help?

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you download the correct DMG for High Sierra (HS.dmg)? It can be found here .

3. NZ2V

Been using High Sierra with ver16 since it was issued, and earlier versions as well. I think that part of my OS is ok

4. NZ2V

Sorry that was a bit snippy. What I meant to say was yes, and just to be certain I went back and tried again. Same results.

5. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

No worries! I just installed the 4.1.20.09 from the link above and it executes on my 10.13.6 system just fine. Another user is reporting pretty much the same problem as yours on groups.io/g/linuxham with no resolution posted yet.

6. NZ2V

7. NZ2V

So I tried the link mentioned above. I still got a refusal to open but this time it says "Fldigi 4.1.20.09 quit unexpectedly" I'm not sure that is progress, but t least I have a new message. I will follow the linuxham thread too. Maybe someone has an answer. Meanwhile I'll keep using ver 16 for my Olivia forays.

8. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

99% of the time when you get that "Fldigi...quit unexpectedly" at startup, it is due to corrupted preferences files. The solution is simple.

Go to Finder and set it to show hidden folders (CMD+SHIFT+.) Find the .fldigi folder. In that folder you'll find two files: fldigi.prefs and fldigi_def.xml. Rename each one something like fldigi.prefs.backup and fldigi_def.xml.backup and then try to start Fldigi again. It should pop up with the setup dialog. You'll have to go through the setup routine again, but that is better than having a non-functional Fldigi.

NN4RH likes this.
  9. NZ2V

10. NZ2V

My apologies. Have not had time to dig into this problem until now. I have done as you instructed through the Finder. Have looked far and wide on the system drive but to no avail. I cannot find the two files you denote. Fldigi comes up ok including the hidden files but these two are nowhere to be found. I have looked under every rock I can think of.