Upgrade OS

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KS2K, Aug 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

He said "2 gig," NOT "2 GB." Yes, 2 GB of memory s crippling for a in Win 10 Machine; 4 GB memory is considered a bare minimum for meaningful use of the computer. With VISTA, 2 GB memory MAY be adequate.
    The OP should be a bit more specific; what model computer, the computer's age, and how much of what type (PC100/133, DDR, DDR2, DDR3, or DDR4?) as well as its speed) of memory does it use. Adding memory may or may not be possible, but doesn't need to be particularly costly.
    The Progression for Microshaft software: (And YES, I HAVE run into [dinosaurs] running Win 10 with PC-133 memory!)

MS-DOS (through DOS 6.22) > DOS/Win 3.1 > Windows for Workgroups (aka Win 3.11) > Win 95 > Win 98 > (we won't even mention Win ME here:(:mad:) > Win XP > VISTA > Win 7 > Win 8/8.1 > Win 10.
    Each version required increasing amounts of memory; the so-called minimum specified by MS was minimum for installation, not for meaning work. They also required increasing amounts of hard drive space.

I would NOT "waste" the Win XP install on the current machine, as it is already old. A better alternative may be to simply sell it (if unopened/unused) on "ePay" (or similar) to recoup the loss. Neither XP NOR VISTA have ANY support from Microsoft; although Win 7 was s "officially" killed some time ago, MS will still provide security updates from time to time; Win 8.1 is still semi-supported. Any or all (MS) support for Win 7 AND Win 8.1 will finally end completely in 2023.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing about Vista, That is not really a problem, You can not update the web browser to the latest and greatest Bloated version.

As a side note ; There was never a 2 gig processor that I know of. None had a even number like that.

This machine is Win 7, And 2GB of memory, It works fine but does have its limit.

[​IMG]

3. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks everyone for your replies and interest in helping. However, EVERYONE, except W5UUA who in post 2 totally answered my question) is OFF TOPIC.
    I was wrong, I thought XP came after vista, which now I know I did not. Read W5UUA answer in post #2, question totally answered topic is completed

My Vista Box has no problems running anything I have loaded on it. Everything is sufficient and quick, I have no desire for the latest and greatest. Even my Mac Pros are only running OS 11 and my Thunderbird is version 1, of many years ago. Thunderbird is now up to version 70 to download. Why ask for problems when none exist.

Many of you enjoy working with computers, I dont but its a way of Life that I must accept. To me, my computer is a hammer. If it drives the nail, thats all I care about. If not, then I need a bigger hammer. If my MAC's would run EXACTLY the same software I use on the Vista Box, the Windows PC's would hit the dump quick.

I am not trying to be critical of your replies and questions, but cant we stay on topic and just answer the question. If more help is needed the Poster will ask for it.

KS2K

4. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

KA9JLM. You might be interested in looking at the attached picture and see how DELL
    classified the processor. This is a screen shot of my machine. Maybe if DELL is wrong you should let them know
    KS2K

Attached Files:

6. KA9JLM

I Trust them, I just never seen one. At least they do not Overclock.

You have plenty of ram, That is a good thing. That is also a nice Version of Vista.

7. KA9JLM

Just a reminder. You are on QRZ. :D

Enjoy. We just have fun here.

8. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Technically, KS2K, your machine could run Windows 10. You've got enough RAM and the CPU can handle it (Although, I'd prefer to use a quad-core chip or better.), not to mention more-than-enough hard drive space. Again, it's totally up to you. You don't have to do it.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If only CPU speed (still a bit sluggish) and memory were the ONLY qualifications.:( The actual hardware in use, as well as the chip set are also considerations; if the the chip set does NOT have drivers for Win 10, it won't upgrade. In addition, most OEM windows versions can NOT be upgraded with even a retail upgrade version of new software, only a full retail version will be needed, (and probably a full "clean" install,) and that will assume that (Dell, in this case) the manufacturer has drives for the new version. It's not as simple as it seems. And an "upgrade' may well make older hardware unusable in the new software. (Win 10 did this; it made a lot of hardware "obsolete" and no longer supported.)

KA9JLM likes this.
  10. KA9JLM

I would not even think about screwing it up with Windows 10.

Win 7 would be great. (Or Linux)

Now a days a OS on a stick is possible. Temporarily run any flavor that you like.

VE3CGA likes this.