Upgrade OS

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KS2K, Aug 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using a Dell 2 gig box with 2, 1 tb drives. The operating system is windows vista. I have no issues running my satellite software and SDR software, but I worry about the future ??

I own a Windows XP licensed install disk with key numbers. It I was to load XP over Vista will it load without destroying all my data and programs on the Hard Drive. Or will XP load and just make everything as
    OEM Delivered. My everyday computers for everything except Ham Radio are MAC Pro's
    KS2K

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

You're going backwards in the progression of windows OS's. Yes, it'll wipe your hard drives clean. Copy all data off your Vista machine first. Then start with a fresh copy of XP.

XP Warning: hasn't been supported in years. Drivers for newer hardware don't exist. Depending how old your hardware is, you may have hardware that doesn't work any more.

If you have no problem with Vista running the software you want to run on it, I'd advise against going to an earlier MS OS.

AE5SB likes this.
  3. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

W5UAA;
    Thanks for the reply. Ooops, I got my dates wrong. I thought XP was a upgrade to Vista. Thanks for hte info, I will leave things just as they are, everything works just fine now. I was projecting out in the future that some new software might not run on Vista. I think its best to cross that bridge it I come to it.
    KS2K

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Eventually, your old computer will have to be replaced. That's just the way things are.

Windows 7 would be a good choice for that machine, IF you have a licensed disk.... since the Activation Servers are still up and runnning. Unfortunately, coming up with an clean, unused install disk might be problematic. If it were mine, I'd switch it over to Linux, if the Linux SDR software you like is available. If you use SDRplay, you are mostly out of luck since their support for Linux is not so good yet.

BUT if it's working now for the tasks you use it for, leaving it as-is is probably the best choice.

5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Only 2GB? Need to add more RAM. But that may cost more than the machine is worth. Replace the machine.

6. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

2 GB was reference to processor speed. I am just going to let a sleeping dog sleep. Its running fine with programs I need
    KS2K

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Normally GB is not related to speed, But is related to amount of RAM. Speed is measured in Hertz.

It would run Win 7 fine, If you use a disk drive with a big swap file. A swap drive slows it down, But it does work.

It may be best to keep as is. There is nothing wrong with Vista, MS fixed it on the last SP.

I would make sure updates are turned Off, Or MS may hose it and force you to update. Win 10 would kill it.

It would be smoking fast with XP. :)

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you work for Microsoft or Best Buy ? :rolleyes:

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why work when I can own the stock and let other people work?

Seriously though, i think the machine could be replaced by an rpi 4.

But, if it ain't broke don't fix it! Sounds like OP is good.

10. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the tip, I checked to see if Updates were off, They are.
    KS2K