UPGRADE from IC-761 to WHAT ???

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KS2K, May 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using my ICOM IC-761 for many years with happy results. However its getting older and technology as leaped far ahead of the IC-761. Being a older ham 77, I like the IC-761 as to has no
    menus to deal with. Everything is on the front panel. I hate menus….

Is there any much newer Transceiver offered by Icom, Yeasu or Kenwood that has new technology
    yet few to no menus, all controls on the front. I did locate a Yeasu FT 1000mp, features and specs sound good, but is there that much difference stepping up from the IC-761 to the Yeasu FT1000mp ?

I appreciate all your thoughts on upgrading from the IC-761

KS2K

2. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 761 also,and upgraded to a 7700.
    I love it.
    There are menus,but mostly set once and forget.
    Important stuff is knobs.
    Mike

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I've not been impressed by the actual performance of any of the later rigs . . . and I certainly don't want a big screen cluttering up the front panel of the rig !

What rig you choose is all about the functionality that you perdonally desire.

When I decided to get a synthesized/wideband rig, after a lot of research (including chatting to former owners) I decided on a Kenwood TS-930S. One of the things I really like is the fact that you can alter the SSB bandwidth from either side of the passband, using concentric knobs . . . ie you can bring the highside in, or the lowside in, or both. I think this is a better arrangement than on the FT1000 (which I had considered, but rejected).

If you decided to go Kenwood, of course you could go for the TS-940S or TS-950S . . . although I chose the '930 as I prefer the controls. (and people I talked to who had owned all 3 said they noticed no improvement in performance . . . some admitted they preferred the '930 !)

What I would REALLY recommend is to visit any friends who have any of these other rigs, and have a play with them before you decide. (I know so many people who have shelled out money on even a brand new rig, but sold it within a few months!)

Roger G3YRO

N2ZD and W1BR like this.
  4. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks All for your thoughts. I have not yet decided on upgrade
    KS2K

5. N2ZD

N2ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I love my 761! If you want to upgrade, get a 765!! :p

KG7HVR and PU2OZT like this.
  6. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The ICOM IC-7851 is the way to go.

K0UO likes this.
  7. N2ZD

N2ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just so you know, I've decided to upgrade from my Icom 761 to............

two more Icom 761's!!! You can never have too many!! Plus they match my two 765's!!

KG7HVR likes this.
  8. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I upgraded from the IC-761 to a gently used IC-781.

KG7HVR likes this.
  9. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Your decision is probably tailored to your areas of operating interest. Only recently have the ICOM models started performing well on AM, my part of the hobby. A simple, straightforward model is the IC-7300, which turned out to be the most popular rig named among more than 1000 participants in the nationwide AM Rally earlier this year. The rig sounds good on transmit and receive, and has a fairly straightforward mix of knobs and menu screen that I think you would find tolerable to use, according to ops I've talked with who are using them. Good luck in your selection. I am not in the market for a modern transceiver, but it appears there's quite a range of choices right now compared with years past.

K0UO likes this.
  10. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Morning All'
    I started this thread quite a while back. I have made my decision, both based on function, great reviews and a Super Duper deal I could not refuse. The new equipment is now in the shack and running like a champ.

Guess I better tell you what I bought hi hi

Yaesu FT-1000mp, with Yaesu MD-100 Desk Mic, looks like new and a Yaesu FT-2000 with DMU-2000, Heil GM-5 Desk Mic, and Matching Yaesu Speaker SP-8 with Phone Patch. I am thrilled and WOW, they both play so well. Now to find a home for the IC-761 and also locate a nice amplifier. Would love to find a Kenwood TL-922. Thanks for all your input.
    KS2K
    Paul

Attached Files:

US7IGN and WA3VJB like this.