Upgrade fail (fldigi)

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by AG8NT, Jun 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AG8NT

AG8NT Ham Member QRZ Page

I upgraded fldigi, flmsg and flrig yesterday. Now when I try to open fldigi, I get the following dialog box:

FOLDER NOT FOUND
    /Applications/flmsg-4.0.14.app/Contents/MacOS/

The new version of flmsg is 4.0.15. It appears I made the mistake of deleting the old version before downloading and installing the new one; it make something go wonky with fldigi Autostart.

The problem now is I can't access the Configure menu in fldigi to fix the Autostart settings. The "folder not found" dialog box comes up, and as soon as I close it, fldigi quits.

I tried uninstalling flmsg 4.0.15 and reinstalling 4.0.14. But all that happens then is that fldigi spontaneously quits as soon as I open it. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling fldigi and all its associated programs, but I'm still in the same boat when opening fldigi -- dialog box if running flmsg 4.0.15, spontaneously quitting if running flmsg 4.0.14.

At wit's end now -- any ideas?

Thanks and 73,
    Dave AG8NT

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This sounds like a catch-22 situation between Fldigi settings and changes you made, resulting in confused/corrupted settings. There is an easy fix, although you'll have to setup your Fldigi preferences again.

From the terminal, do the following:
    [explanation of each step is in brackets]

(Feel free to cut and paste these into the terminal if you’re not comfortable working from the terminal. Do NOT forget the “.” Right before the word fldigi in the line starting with cd)

cd .fldigi
    [changes to the Fldigi configuration folder where the settings and support files are saved]

mv fldigi_def.xml fldigi_def.old
    [saves your current settings with an ".old" appendix which Fldigi won't recognize]

mv fldigi.prefs fldigi.prefs.old
    [saves your current preferences with an ".old" appendix which Fldigi won't recognize]

Now, restart Fldigi and the setup wizard should pop up. Set everything up again and you should be good to go.

I know that some people also make a backup of a known-good preferences setup and save it for quick restoration. You basically do the same as above, but save the known good preferences as
    something like

fldigi_def.good
    fldigi.prefs.good

Hope this helps.

KA9JLM likes this.
  3. AG8NT

AG8NT Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked like a charm!

Still have some settings to thrash through, but the heavy lifting is done. Thank you!

Dave AG8NT

K3DCW likes this.
  4. W6SNX

W6SNX Ham Member QRZ Page

I installed fldigi on my Raspberry pi4 and somehow it trashed my password. I can no longer login to the Pi4. Any idea on what the password that Fldigi set it too?

5. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Fldigi does nothing during installation or operation that would affect your system password.

KG5THG likes this.