Upgrade a Dell laptop?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NM7G, Aug 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would just buy a new one at Walmart for $200

It may be locked for Win 10, That is the only bummer about getting a nice one cheap.

Take it back if you are unhappy.

2. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Great info from all. I appreciate your obviously well considered efforts. I'll pursue the Dell forum and read the links offered as well. Totally understand the heat issue, and have a feel on the challenges of SSB compatibility, having done some investigation on drive swapping. The end-user will be a college student, running Mathcad Prime, Excel, email, and little else.
    Thank you everyone! 73

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Since it is a "hand-me-down" so to speak, the only "upgrade" I would consider would be a memory upgrade, IF that is possible. Anything else is an insignificant increase in perceived performance, and not worth the time, effort, and risk. YMMV

If the "recipient" demands a faster processor speed, I would recommend he/she BUY one that meets their needs. (Your laptop far exceeds both MY laptop or desktop capabilities.)

4. WA9SVD

With some computers, (whether laptop or desktop) ANY upgrade except memory addition may well invalidate the "built in" (factory installed) Win 10 activation.:( You may well have to install a retail copy of Win 10, @ $100.00 or more.:eek: Ask yourself if THAT additional cost is worth it? :rolleyes:

5. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm, Dell G3 (Modern hex core)
    Swapped both hard drives for an M.2NVME & SSD 2nd drive. RAM upgraded.
    The only time you may have an issue with WIN10 after an upgrade is changing the MOBO. That is usually fixable online with Microsoft.

Ed

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think XP was the OS that triggered a hardware change when you upgraded memory.

It also triggered a hardware change when using a few different USB drives. :mad:

I think Service pack 1 fixed that problem.

There are a few KEY files that can be modified to keep the OS registered, Even after a MOBO change.

How long will Win 10 work without internet connectivity ???

Not sure, But my guess is 10 will stop working if it does not take updates after a certain amount of time.

7. WA9SVD

NOT necessarily. I had to replace a HD in an IBM ThinkPad; same make model and size. NO other modifications. Reinstalled OS rom ORIGINAL OEM install disks, and XP Pro activation fails, as "not legitimate Microshaft product.":(