Updating to Mojave and WSJT-X, RumlogNG updates

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by WB0KSL, May 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WB0KSL

WB0KSL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A bit over a year ago, I got a new iMac up and running with WSJT-X, RumlogNG and my ic-7300. After determining that the sequence of radio/programs startup was important, things settled down and all went well. Some health issues put radio on the back burner for most of a year now, and I find that the Mac OS (High Sierra) can (should?) be updated to Mojave. WSJT-X is version 1.9.1 and must be updated to 2.0.1. Rumlog is currently v3.12, and probably needs to be updated to the v4. Likewise with the (sometimes used) JT-Bridge, though I had found it wasn’t strictly necessary before. OK, so...

- Should I expect problems after performing any or all of these updates?
    - Will the “memory segment” modification for the use of WSJT-X need to be done again after the Mojave update?
    - The current Silicon Labs driver for the ic-7300 is v 5.0.4. There have been a number of driver updates issued by SiLabs. Their release notes seem to indicate those updated drivers were issued to accommodate new devices PID/VIDs. Do I need to update the SILabs driver? (Uggh!). If so, I assume the existing driver should be uninstalled first?

Just trying to be prepared for problems, so any comments/suggestions are welcomed.

73 de wb0ksl, John

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

While there is always the caveat that "your mileage may vary," none of these updates should present any problems. RUMlogNG will auto-update from the App Store if that's how you have it installed. JT-Bridge should be a simple download to install/update.

I can't recall for certain whether you'll have to do the memory segment modification again after updating to Mojave; but I suspect you will. If so, it isn't hard to do of course.

The latest driver is usually a good idea, but you can always test after your update: if everything works, then perhaps there is no need to update.

3. WU7X

WU7X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,

Could you please explain what you mean by memory segment modification? I will be installing RumLogNG onto my older iMac running Mojave V10.14.5. I also want to install WSJT-X and use a West Mountain Advantage. I have downloaded Silicon Labs drivers in the past, so don't think I'll have issues with that. All this to operate my IC-7100, primarily on VHF/UHF but also for digital work on HF.

As far as I know I have never intentionally done a memeory segment modification. So don't understand what you mean by that term. Please keep this old white beard understand.

Thanks,

Dale WU7X

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"memory segment modification" was the term used by the OP to refer to the process of increasing the shared memory allocation. It has nothing to do with RUMlogNG, but rather is one of the necessary steps in setting up WSJT-X on the Mac. Full instructions are included in the Mac WSJT-X download. It is a simple command line process. Follow the step-by-step directions in the ReadMe.txt file to increase the shared memory allocation and you'll be good-to-go.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  5. WU7X

WU7X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the wonderful reply. Makes sense.

K3DCW likes this.
  6. WB0KSL

Dave, many thanks for the information. I have some things to do tonight and tomorrow AM, but I should be able to get this task knocked out later tomorrow. I appreciate the guidance. BTW, I spent some time in your state, a bit North of your area, about 50 years ago. Working for my “Uncle” at Aberdeen Proving Ground. Great part of the country.

73 de wb0ksl, John

7. K3DCW

Thanks, John. Yes, Maryland does have its nice points, but the cost of living is killer. I came here courtesy of the same Uncle and ended up settling here for the past 14+ years. However, the day after I retire my wife and I are headed to the land of warm beaches and no income tax.

Let me know if you have any issues: I'll be glad to help as I can.

8. WB0KSL

Well, the iMac updated to Mojave just fine, and I downloaded and installed the updates to WSJT-X, JT-Bridge and RumLogNG. No errors or issues. I’ll get everything up and running next session and report back. I started WSJT-X, and it didn’t choke at the point where it does if the shared memory allocation modification is needed, so I may be OK on that as well. Hoping I don’t have to deal with updating the SciLabs drivers! The most frustrating part so far was the Mojave update demanding that I have two factor identification now. Of course that is rippling through all our Apple devices now. Arrggghhh!

73 de wb0ksl, John

K3DCW likes this.
  9. WB0KSL

All up and running again! None of the updates trashed any of the program configurations. I’ve only tried WSPR in RX mode so far, but I have no reason to believe that any other modes would pose a problem. Radio firmware may need update, but I’m in no hurry. Thanks again, Dave.

73 de wb0ksl, John

K3DCW likes this.