Updating location for logs

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KJ7YOO, May 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ7YOO

KJ7YOO Ham Member QRZ Page

Me and the Mrs have become summer travelers and move from location to location every week or so. When logging a contact, do I update my location to the current operating location or keep it as my home coordinates?

2. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Always the actual station location, including the grid square and CQ zone.

3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe any temporary operation within 50 miles of your "home" location does not require setting up a different station location for LoTW, but all other locations do. TQSL makes it easy to set up different station locations.

I keep separate logs for each portable operation, and each requires a separate upload using the correct station location.

I understand some logging programs which automatically do LoTW uploads can handle multiple station locations, and others cannot. It would be a good idea to confirm this when choosing a logging program.

4. N1SJK

N1SJK QRZ Lifetime Member #210 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm touring the country in my tractor trailer truck and I frequently operate from a new location too. I use Netlogger for my logging and upload using TQSL to LoTW. Then download hours or a day or so later to my QRZ account. I do APRS which helps to find my precise Grid square, then I look up the city and state I'm in for the county. I use this website to find the CQ and ITU zones using my grid square location. > https://zone-check.eu/

Good luck and happy RVing! de N1SJK

5. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I think some are missing the importance of "Station Locations" within LoTW in that each Station Location record contains the County and State. Now perhaps you're not a County Hunter type, but I'm pretty sure its important to other folks to know what State they've worked.

6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to go "full throttle" on this, you can describe -

DXCC Entity
    Grid
    ITU Zone
    CQ Zone
    State
    County

Here's another tool for determining grid. You can look it up on a computer and make Station Locations ahead of time, unless your travel itinerary is "We'll camp here for the night" John Wayne style. https://dxcluster.ha8tks.hu/hamgeocoding/

Then, when you are ready to actually upload, all you have to do is match the Station Locations to your various logs. It helps to keep a separate "batch" for each location, and it also helps if you give the location a name which helps identify it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    N1JWW likes this.
  7. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a reminder, QTH isn't your home, it's your actual station location.

N1JWW likes this.