ad: M2Ant-1

UPDATE ON N8LXR'S 5 BAND WAS EFFORT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WU3U, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WU3U

WU3U Guest

Some of you may remember a story appearing here on QRZ.COM last January titled "5 Band WAS CW Mobile!"

If you recall, I may be the first Amateur Radio operator to earn the 5 Band WAS Award since it was first offered formally in 1970 using only mobile equipment.   ARRL Awards is not aware of anyone having a 5 Band WAS number who claims to have earned it using only mobile equipment, i.e., using a station capable of being operated in motion.

There is at least one HF mobilier who has worked the equivalent of 5 Band WAS using only mobile equipment, the QSOs being made from the U.S. West Coast. (I am not listing his callsign because I do not mention other Hams in any articles I write without their permission.)

However, the rules of the formal 5 Band WAS, first offered in 1970, state that all contacts claimed as credit
    must be made after January 1st, 1970.

All successful 5 Band WAS applicants receive a 5 Band WAS number.   So far, ARRL Awards is not aware, nor am I aware, of anyone having claimed to earn a 5 Band WAS number using only mobile equipment, since the Award was first offered in 1970.  

The League does not formally recognize "Mobile WAS," although it does permit the listing of a mobile designator after the call sign listed on the 5 Band WAS Certificate, i.e., N8LXR/M.   Also, unusual happenings like a mobile station earning an award primarily intended for fixed stations will usually show up in QST, as the operator seeks some recognition in lieu of a formal endorsement of his/her achievement.

I just wanted to update the many hams who showed interest in this rather unusual project of my progress.

As of May 21st, 2002, I have WAS on 40, 20, 15, and 10 Meters, and 46 states logged on 80 meters (need NE, WY, AK, and HI),  about 98% QSL, using a Yaesu FT 100D and a High Sierra HS 1500 Screwdriver, all Qs at 100 Watts output using CW, all made not more than 50 miles apart, as per WAS rules.

I have not been working on the 5 Band WAS CW Mobile Award in the past few months, but plan to resume chasing it next fall.  If I am lucky, I may complete the final 4 QSOs on 80 meters during the 2002 ARRL Field Day.

73 and Happy Hamming to all!

Tim
    N8LXR
    Philadelphia, PA

2. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

Sounds like fun and something to be proud of. Good luck with it. I too operated mobile cw when I was a single man with a long commute. I had a TS130, a Dentron Super Tuner, and a Hustler with a bunch of resonators. I never pursued any awards, just passed the time hamming. I enjoyed it very much, and it wasn't as tough as some had made it out to be. I admit, I didn't do much on 80. The inherent antenna limitation just made it not so much fun. But I guess you've got it down to a science since you've 48 on 80. Not shabby at all.

Again, good luck with it, and please, give us an update on your rig, antenna, etc.

Chris

3. KV4DZ

KV4DZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey BO,
    Are you braggin,...or complainin?

Just Curious. [​IMG]

4. K0DLW

K0DLW Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure hope he's braggin, what a feat. Let us know when you make it!!
    .......KØDLW [​IMG]

5. K0RU

K0RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Tim,

CONGRADULATION on such a wonderful achievement.  Obviously some folks may not have the expertise or experience to achieve 5 band WAS at their home QTH let alone make any attempt from a mobile.

I've been operating /M CW for 15 years, and my hats off to you for the commitment oh yeah some can say "Oh thats nothing, or Oh big deal" but yet they have no concept what its like driving 70 MPH down the highway, banging away on the paddles, at 30 to 40 wpm, jamming gears, and making that rare new state on 80 meters, or 10 meters for that matter, let alone Work All States, on 5 bands, all again with a Screw Driver Whip antenna, FT100D @ 100W, and the commitment to get it done.

Those of you that haven't tried CW Mobile, are missing alot of fun, "won't begin to explaining the learning abilities it will give you for head copy".  

This accomplishment speaks very highly of Tim, considering to date, not one (1) ham has applied, or received the 5 band WAS (mobile) not only since 1970's, but I've worked many old timers who'd tell you, this is not an easy feat.

Hope to hear you on the air soon Tim, Congrad's!

73 - W8YRB - Rob

6. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Just wondering... Has this been done in any of the other modes?

[​IMG] Good luck

73 - WD8OQX

7. W6TH

W6TH Guest

Good work young man.  When you complete the 80 "WAS", guess you can start on ssb.  The contact was easy, wasn't it, how about the QSL's?

73,   W6th

8. WU3U

WU3U Guest

I will answer a few of the question and points brought up here.

No I am not bragging at all!  

I decided to try for 5 Band CW Mobile WAS because I thought it was a timely thing in the age of antenna restrictions.  

I also wanted to demonstrate how effective CW is, that mobile stations are of value to the Amateur Service, and to show how you CAN participate meaningfully in Ham Radio even if you cannot erect monster antennas.

The success I have enjoyed so far also shows the developement of miniaturized mobile transceivers, and the ingenuity of the Screwdriver Antenna.  Today, practically any ham owning even a small passenger vehicle can enjoy ham radio while offering the public flexible radio communications in time of need.

I should also point out that I have NOT earned the Award yet!  HI HI.

Some have asked what I am running in the mobile.

The truck is a 2001 Toyota Tacoma.  The rig is a Yaesu
    FT 100D, A High Sierra Hs 1500 Screwdriver, and a completely independent 12 volt power system:  a 300
    amp hour, absorbed glass mat, sealed deep cycle battery
    (runs rig at 100W out for many hours on full charge), a
    40 amp microprocessor controlled charger, and a 3 KW AC
    generator mounted in the truck's bed.  

I usually run off of battery power alone, and usually charge the battery with commercial power at home, but I do use the generator and charger on the road or in contests featuring a mobile class, to keep the battery topped off.

One fellow asks about QSLing:   No, the Qs were not all easy...many of them were made in the middle of the night while sitting in the truck on a COLD winter night!
    HI HI.

But yes, the work really starts with the QSLing.  I sent each station whose card I needed an SASE along with a
    letter explaining what I was doing with a tally of my state/band totals.  Return rate had been very good with
    SASEs and the letter.  Thanks everyone!

As for SSB,,,,I think that anyone trying for 5 Band WAS as a mobilier using SSB alone will almost certainly have to have a QRO amp. (ALL of my Qs were made at 100W in CW, again showing how CW gets through).  

Many of the stations I worked were weak and at or just above the QRN, often by some sort of funky propagation like Forward Troposcatter, with signals having that watery, ringy quality.  

This was especially true of close-in states on 15 and 10 meters, the distance to which is not supported by F layer skip, or at least not directly.  These would have been very hard, if not impossible on SSB, even with an amp.  

To work the close-in states mobile using SSB, I think that E Layer skip would have to be the mode of propagation for the close-in states on 10 and 15 meters, and such a feat may take years....but I may get to work on it this summer, hoping for a good E Layer skip season.

Still, working AK and HI on 80 meters using SSB with an antenna only 9 feet long from the East Coast almost certainly will require QRO power....but I am willing to try even with 100 Watts!

OK thanks everyone....and look for me in FD 2002...I will be signing my own call in the Mobile Class,,,,HI HI..what else?!

Tim
    N8LXR

9. K3CW

K3CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Tim, I was talking to you a little while back on 70cm and you mentioned you were working on 5 band WAS but either you neglected to say, or I missed the part about it being, ALL MOBILE. Good luck OM.

10. KQ6FU

KQ6FU Ham Member QRZ Page

You might want to check the award records again in a couple weeks. I submitted by 5 band WAS mobile cw information almost two weeks ago. Should have it on the wall shortly. I'll post a picture of it for you.
    Good luck though!
    Sean

11. N3NJ

N3NJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice going Tim! Keep up the good work Old man. See you on Field Day (I hope).

Mark Morris N3NJ

12. KC7MAW

KC7MAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Job,

Is it different for mobile stations? For stationary guys they have to work all 50 on 5 bands from 1 QTH (within 50 miles). Mostly for retired guys and not for Hams still trying to manage careers and make a living.

Sure would hate to get 4.5 bands confirmed and then a transfer comes up!...... All those SASE's spent and not count for 5bWAS....... Ouch

For now, I'm happy with the basic award.

Mike

13. WU3U

WU3U Guest

This is in reply to KQ6FU.

I was not aware of anyone else's claims of having or even working on 5 Band WAS CW Mobile. This is all new to me.

My efforts to earn it using only mobile equipment have been publisized here on QRZ over several months and and checked with ARRL.

I have not checked with ARRL in just the past two weeks
    however, and no one else made any claim to be working on 5 Band WAS CW all mobile since I introduced the topic back in late 2001.

So if you are the first ham to have earned the 5 Band WAS using only mobile equipment since it was first offered in 1970, then my hat is off to you OM! Congratulations!

I am even thinking of starting a club recognizing the the efforts of mobiliers earning 5 Band WAS, WAS, and DXCC, since the League has a history of not granting special endorsements to their awards.

So 73 OM....its a great acheivement

Tim
    N8LXR

14. N1SNB

N1SNB Ham Member QRZ Page

Tim,

It is certainly an interesting project, good work. I too have been chasing 5BWAS not mobile, but from my house in New Hampshire. I run 100w into several verticals and a small tribander. I have made 47,653 QSO's since 1999. I do not have my 5BWAS yet. I still need 3 more QSOs. You must have had quite a time getting Hawaii and Alaska on 80m CW with a 9 ft mobile antenna. I also thought that 5BWAS, like DXCC, had to be achieved from one QTH (isnt mobile impossible?)...I guess I need some clarification. Tim, to be frank with you I just do not believe that 5BWAS mobile is possible.

73 jeff

15. WU3U

WU3U Guest

To Jeff , N1SNB

WAS Rules state that no two of the QSOs used as credit toward WAS can be anymore than 50 air miles apart.

Most of mine were made from Springfield, Pa, or from a spot along the Delaware River on the Philadelphia waterfront.   These two locations are 9 air miles apart.

In the rare instance when I made a QSO from a QTH other than those listed above, I used a website called
    "Zip Find," wherein you can enter the Zip Code of 2 QTHs and it will calculate the air miles between them.

In actuality, I have never even come close to making any
    two of the QSOs I am claiming for 5 Band WAS CW Mobile from QTHs more than 50 air miles apart.

As for AK and HI on 80 meters:  I do not have AK or HI logged on 80 yet.  These two contacts will prove the toughest, but I hope to finally get them in a contest
    when a station with a monster 80 meter antenna and QRO power is running stations.  I suspect that I will find
    WY and NE on 80 meters during this year's ARRL Field
    Day....and if VERY lucky, AK and HI.

Is 5 Band WAS Mobile CW possible?   Well, time will tell...but I am about 98% finished, about 98% QSL.

I will say this.  It IS hard to work 5 Band WAS, fixed
    and especially mobile, by "casual" operating.  Setting and keeping skeds (no, there is no WAS rule barring skeds) and getting into contests and calling only the stations in states you need are the two main strategies.

Your operating time must be focused only on making the QSOs you need, and being on the right bands at the right time to work the needed states.  

73 and thanks for your input!

Tim
    N8LXR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.