Upcharging for using PayPal

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KC3APU, Mar 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3APU

KC3APU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen a lot of ads on here where the seller is up-charging for using PayPal as payment, according to PayPal this is against their rule.

PayPal is a convenient way to purchase using credit cards when the seller doesn't have the ability to process said cards that is all, if a seller could I would rather use said credit card as I get rewards for charging with them.

If you plan to sell on the "Swapmeet", then add up the costs include a fair amount for shipping, handling, and the fees , then post the price.

Greg

KS4W, N9LCD and W5PFG like this.
  2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said! The elephant in the room is what does it say about the honesty and ethics of a seller who is so blatantly willing to violate his agreement with PayPal over such a small amount of money? Why would you, as a potential buyer, think he will treat any agreement he has made with you any differently than his agreement with PayPal?

K1FBI and KS4W like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

At least they are not asking you to pay using friends and family. :rolleyes:

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

In case you mist it, sometimes this Fall Ebay is ditching PP for a new (Dutch) company. Will be interesting to see if anything
    changes. I think PP does a great job.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. KC3APU

I have had that request when buying off the forum and my answer is "No", with the explanation that " you are neither to me, this is a purchasing transaction" and quickly say "if this not agreeable than this transaction is "null and void"", since agreeing to buy/purchase is a valid agreement.
    Has anyone tried using "Melle" yet? I haven't.

Greg

6. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Or Western Union... :D

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

7. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

DUH!!!

I wonder how many accounts have been closed (or users kicked-off PayPal) for up-charging.

ZERO?

8. KC3APU

And what are the fees for using Western Union besides the inconvenience of having to run to a location to send the money?

Good Question and the answer would be I guess none unless someone gets aggravated enough to turn them in, I prefer not to be the first in that case. I use Ebay for some electronic parts/components (small orders because shipping is usually free) and several sellers no longer have PayPal as an option for payment (not because Ebay is dropping PP). I enjoy buying on this forum because the majority of the sellers here are honest.

Most of us have PayPal linked to a credit card, (few right to a bank account), and the card provider charges PP just like a store is charged by the credit card provider, the fee PP recovers in a purchase is not as astronomical as everyone thinks, plus the protection for the buyer.

Greg

9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Before I rediscovered ham radio in 2012 I did thousands of on-line auction purchases ( both buying and selling ) every year for individual stamps and sets of collectible stamps, with eBay and delcampe ( European ) being the biggest forums for that. Even in 2012 few delcampe merchants would accept paypal, so I had to use other means, namely something called Moneybookers which I believe is now called Skrill.

In my experience, as both buyer and seller, paypal is vastly better than Moneybookers-Skrill. Now most sellers "over there" on delcampe allow paypal. I guess when eBay sold off paypal that opened up the possibility of some other payment scheme, so it doesn't surprise me. As a buyer and as a seller I followed the rules. But many didn't.

Of course, as soon as I rediscovered "radio" I sold my stamp collection and used the proceeds to buy a 72' motorized crank-up tower and 10-element LPDA for 10-30 meters. And I had money left over for two new FTdx5000's, two solid-state 1kw amps, and the Alpha 9500 ( it was quite a collection, over 80,000 mint stamps from the late 1800's through about 1960 ). Don't regret selling for a moment. And before the buyer took possession, I did high-resolution scans of every stamp in the collection, took me several weeks full-time to do that.

K2CD likes this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is giving a discount for not using paypal OK ?

Kind of like gas stations that give a discount for paying cash.