Up

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N5CM, Feb 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's say you are chasing a DX station on 7.005 MHz CW and you hear or your decoder says the station sends "up".

That means you should be LISTENING ONLY on 7.005 MHz, and your transmit frequency should be UP away from 7.005 MHz. For example, your transmit frequency might be 7.065 MHz.

Your transmit frequency should not be 7.005 MHz.

You should not tune on 7.005 MHz or up where others are transmitting to the DX station. If you tune on 7.005 MHz, then no one can hear the DX station while you are tuning. If you tune where others are transmitting to the DX station, then the DX station can't hear those on the frequency on which you are tuning. When you tune on the DX transmit frequency or where the DX station is listening, you are causing QRM and fewer people will get a contact.

K0MB likes this.
  2. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

You shall not send UP UP UP UP a dozen times when someone transmit on the DX frequency one or two times by mistake.

You shall not start arguing or shouting on the DX frequency.

You shall never show any reaction to QRMers. That's what they want. Ignore them and be patient, as hard as it may be.

N2EY, K4RKY, N2IW and 2 others like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, 60 Kcs would be a lot of "up." But the point is well taken. HOWEVER... Three things that have never changed? And will apparently never change?

Lids and goobers will call a DXpedition on their frequency. I guess they just think they always get lucky and stumble across DX before a pileup develops.

UP Police will always be on frequency to PROTECT US!

Some will be just fine with tuning up on a DX station's frequency.

:D

WD4ELG likes this.
  4. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

ID1OT was spotted in the melee.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've noticed a trend on SSB where someone calling the DX on the DX calling frequency will be "worked" by someone pretending to be the DX!! The first couple times, it threw me off thinking "why are the DX breaking stride and working simplex??" when it occurred to me the DX didn't actually work the station - one of the "Up Police" pretended to work the guy calling just to get rid of him.... very "lid-like" behavior but sure seemed to be effective!!

I have not heard this on CW but it's probably happening there as well.

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4ELG likes this.
  6. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been working the DX pileups for over 50 years. Have I ever accidently transmitted on the DX frequency rather than split? Yep a couple times but very very rarely. I continue to be somewhat amazed at how many "experienced" amateurs do it with every DX pedition that comes along. I get it BUT when the DX repeatedly says "up" (the VP8 ops often do it after each contact) it is hard to imagine that the offending ops don't hear the "up". Hard to also understand why some ops don't seem to know what "up" means.

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WOLF, THREE CHEERS FOR THE KITTIES ON YOUR QRZ PAGE........BRAVO.........
    dx pileup.jpg

WOLF, BACK IN OCT OF 2104 WE HAD A FB QSO ON 20 CW AND
    YOU WERE TELLING ME ABOUT YOUR DAYS ON THE
    SUBMARINE SUPPLY SHP.

I WISH YOU ....SMOOTH SAILING.......

==========================73
    View attachment 636136

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw that one today while working VP8PJ on 60 meters

9. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard this occasionally on CW.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Frequently, the UP police aggravate the situation by not ID'ing who exactly is causing the problem. Simply saying "UP!" doesn't cut it while "UP xyz" would most helpful.

And yes, sometimes the LID is so DENSE that giving him a 5NN to get rid of him is acceptable ...

And I've screwed up and transmitted on the DX frequency over the years, but mostly in the last 8 years using the FTDX-5000 which had the smallest and dimmest of a red light for VFO B (I'm color-blind). The new '101 has brilliant white (VFO A) and blue (VFO B) colors so unless I'm blind ...

And since it's hard to say "UP" in FT8, what does one do when you see callers below 1,000 hz calling the DX station, or trying to start a contact by transmitting MSG 2 (signal report). Or why does some _____ come onto a FT8 frequency used in F/H mode and start calling CQ? Have they any brain left?

There appear to be an equal number of LIDs on any of the popular modes where DX is concerned.

WD4ELG likes this.