ad: IACantenna-1

Unzipping a program

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA4ILH, Jan 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I just bought a Signalink USB interface and successfully set it up and loaded DIGIPAN on my laptop here in the shack. Everything went well but in order install the DIGIPAN program, I had to unzip it. My Windows 10 apparently did not have an unzip program. I was able to download WINZIP free for a “trial period.” I don’t remember unzipping a file being a problem in years past with earlier Windows OSs. Call me a cheapskate but, is there a free unzip program out there?
    Tom WA4ILH

2. N5BCN

N5BCN Ham Member QRZ Page

KC8NRO, WA7PRC and NK2U like this.
  3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure Windows has understood zip files for quite a while without needing anything extra. I think you just double click on it and it prompts you where to expand to.

But .. yeah, if you do need a program to unzip (and lots of other formats) 7-zip is really good.

W4RAV likes this.
  4. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks guys, I have downloaded 7-zip. I'm I just now getting on digital after nearly 48 years of being a ham.
    Tom WA4ILH

W4RAV likes this.
  5. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Windows 10 has a "built in" ability to "unzip" files.

See:
    Zip and unzip files
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14200/windows-compress-uncompress-zip-files

Where you will see that it says:

"To unzip all the contents of the zipped folder, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions."

6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just for completness, I believe versions of Windows past WinXP do not support creating a zip file with the R-click context menu. For this you need third-party software.

(insert suitable remarks about Microsoft here...)

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure they do. Rt-Click, then select "Send to". A "Compressed (zipped) folder" is one of the choices.

WD9EWK likes this.
  8. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My mistake. The problem was that Windows past WinXP did not support creating a zip file with password protection, but unzipping those files still prompts for a password in later versions of Windows.

WinRAR, etc. handle this, of course, but when I moved on from WinXP I encountered this minor problem. (However, I didn't remember the problem correctly...)

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There are NO comments about MS that are acceptable on QRZ...